Early-A steering column

-

rmchrgr

Skate And Destroy
Reaction score
Trying to help another member determine whether a part will fit his power steering car or not. Can anyone tell me if there is a difference between a power and manual steering column in an Early-A? If there is, how do you tell? What do you measure?

Thanks, Greg

The steering column jackets are the same. The steering shaft for power steering is shorter than manual steering. Also, power steering uses a different coupler than manual. Sorry, no pics.

The steering shaft for power steering is shorter than manual steering.

I measure approx. 5.5" of exposed shaft length from the seal to where the coupler mounts. Can you tell me which one I have? The coupler is long gone. It's a floor-shift column if that helps.

Thanks Bronx.

If you get the correct adapter, can it be used with a power steering gear or is it still too long?

the manual shaft is longer than the power one by ~ 1.5". The manual is more desireable, since more people ditch the power steering for BB or SB conversions. someone will trade you even up for sure.

I had to add a small section (1.5") to my PS shaft for my manual box conversion. Also; the PS box is a larger dia. at the spline (~.75"), the manual is smaller (~.675"). that's why the couplers are different.

I used a later styler coupler, since I was just grafting it onto the shaft anyway.

-
Back