early barracuda reproduced parts

-

fstfish66

Reaction score
i recently learned of the rear window molding being reproduced,,and was like a kid in a candy store to learn this,,these parts are hard to find in decent condition,,and if you do very costly and usualy not a complete set,,,

so i ordered them,,got all 5 pieces, 560.00 bucks shipped ,,,to my door,,

heres the bad part,,altho they clain they are now made of of a alloy of metal that does not rust or pitt,,,,they look like a set of old pitted pieces replated,

when i ordered them they sent me a pic, i noticed on the 64/65 parts they looked correct,, the 66 the center is painted incorrectly,,i thought a small price to pay for a nice new set of hard to find moldings,,,lots of machining marks, spotty chrome,,,but shinny,,,in my opinion i rate them a 6 at best on a scale of 1 to 10,, they will look good from a distance,,, but my orignal parts may of looked better rechromed,,,,

just some info incase you are considering buying a set of these from laysons reproductions,,,,

Thanks for the heads up.I was looking at a new set but wanted some feedback first.

i e mailed rick at laysons,,, his reply ,was this

Hi Don,

We appreciate your feedback! I think I can say with a fair amount of certainty that you will have no problems with the fit. I noticed that Donc1965 from the early A board posted pics of his moldings installed and it looked like they fit pretty good.

I wished I would have had some input into the production of these, but that process was started long before I went to work here.......

Thanks,
Rick

score another big thumbs up for laysons.................yea right

could you post some pics? ive been thinking about buying the armrests but now i dont think so.

i think you will be ok with arm rests,,,bases or pads,, i will get some pics soon,,, but in the pics they will appear very nice,,, its in the proper lighting that you see all the flaws,,, i hope it doesnt show so much on the car,,,,,

thinking now if i had a plater i could trust,, my orignals would look better,,,

thinking now if i had a plater i could trust,, my orignals would look better,,,

When I worked for a restoration company down here in VA, we used exclusively Frankford Plating out of Philly. Their work was top notch. I googled them and are still in business. You might check with them (215-288-4518) and see what they say. Don't know if John Barger still runs it, but you might ask. If so tell him Don from Bob and Peg's Vintage Tin sent you to them.

yes i have heard of frankfort plating im just out side philly,,there are a few platers in the city,, and i have heard all the horro stories from local car guys,,,,but i need to get my tail lite housings chromed,, i will give thenm a call,,thanks

Please send pictures. I have a good set to rechrome but I had thought of buying a set from them and maybe, maybe giving them another try...

the flaws in the trim i bought cant be seen in a pic,,,ill post a pic if you just want to see them,,,,but you can go to the early valiant barracuda site,, look under product reviews,, there is a set pictured for a 65 they do look good,, he has a pic of them off the car and then on the car,,they look great in the pics,, maybe the 64/65 pieces are better then my 66 pieces,,,

Layson's probably DID rechome an old set and sell them to you, Farging Bastages!

I just got mine from Laysons today and they look pretty darn good. I looked at them real close and can't find a thing wrong with them. No pitting whatsoever. Maybe I got lucky, but they were worth every penny since my old ones are as ugly as a bag of a$$holes.

I had a good and bad experience with some pieces from Laysons. My convertible latches were awesome looking, no flaws. My rearview mirror post was abit flawed. Sent it back, and Dave called me. He said it was kinda expected for a cheap piece, then he said it wasnt cheap in price of course just machined cheap. He then said if i liked he would send me another one. I said "yes" when I got it, it didnt look much different then the one I sent to him.
Still waiting on my 64 dart tail lights, over two years now, but at least they do make them. I was finally told that some of the items I was waiting for were not actually being made, even though they advertise them for sale. Makes me mad. It shouldnt take over two years for tail lights, and they should say in thier catalog "Hey we dont make these yet, so dont bother getting excited".
But I have no choice but to wait. I wonder, if Chip Foose needed 64 Dart tail lights, would Dave pull out some from his secret stash. I can almost promise you he keeps some set aside so that when he goes on the road it looks like he has a wealth of stocked items.

That's the movie! Saw it a long long time ago, but I always remembered that line!

Maybe I shouldn't have said that. I hope I didn't violate your farging rights. You might think I'm an icehole.

That thing still shows on cable all of the time.

Wel Good News Hopefully,, Rick At Laysons Has Contacted Me,thru E Mail And Phone Tagg,,, And We Are Going To Exchange Parts,im Hoping The Parts I Get In Return Will Be As Good As Some Of The Other Guys That Have Gotten Them,or As Good As Rick Tells Me,,, It Will Be About 2 Weeks Till The Transfering Of Parts Is Complete,ill Up Date This Posting Then,,,cross Your Fingers For Me Every One,, I Paid To Much To Have Ugly New Parts,,

ok i couldnt find this topic,, to update it finally found it,,

i recieved my echange parts,the 3 big rear window chrome parts on my 66 barracuda, the exchanged set are much better then the first set,,,not perfect,,,but real nice,,,,,

thanks again to RICK AT LAYSONS,,,

So why the difference in quality? What made the first set so poor and how come nobody noticed? I know..I know...they DID notice but hoped you wouldn't mind. Now the next poor guy is gonna have the same problem. I can't see Layson's throwing that set away, can you?

i think what was wrong,, the parts werent blwon off after milling the tiny fins,,then went to plating i think,,, before i sent themn back i noticed a low spot in the metal or maybe the plating,, i dont think they look at them,,, they were sent to me in one box inside another box,, the inside box has there address on it,, i think they repack it in a bigger box with more packing,,

either way the set i have now if pretty good,, THANKS AGAIN RICK AT LAYSONS

-
Back