-
Status
Not open for further replies.

70dusterpink

Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Contact seller
Looking for a desoto 330,341,345 that can be run as is not a pile of junk... Also looking for a 331,354,392. I'm looking for one that can be painted up new plugs wires etc and can be run doesn't have to run like brand new but at least drivable. Not looking to spend a fortune. Send me a PM please I'm in NJ so the closer the better... I'm willing to drive pretty far for one. Thanks alot guys

Really not looking for the 291 just because it seems like it takes a lot to get them over 300hp naturally aspirated

I professionally build EARLY HEMI engines, as per the comment that 300 HP is hard to achive, is Not true, infact, it's easy to get to 400 HP.

I professionally build EARLY HEMI engines, as per the comment that 300 HP is hard to achive, is Not true, infact, it's easy to get to 400 HP.

Based on his other thread, I'm guessing he knows this. But unless I'm mistaken, he doesn't want to do a full rebuild, which definitely puts a dent in getting 400 hp out of a 291.

Now, 10:1 pistons, a hot cam, 4 or more barrels sitting on the intake and maybe some mild head work and 400 hp isn't hard at all.

Well if someone can show me a close to 400hp 291 without trick parts I'm going to buy this 291 and cam intake and custom pistons.

i have one but i say it will need a full rebuild to be safe. If you are interested i can dig to get numbers... can you tell what engine it is by head casting number. I have the heads off the engine currently

going to be hard to find one close to you in good running order... they are what 50 years old

Based on his other thread, I'm guessing he knows this. But unless I'm mistaken, he doesn't want to do a full rebuild, which definitely puts a dent in getting 400 hp out of a 291.

Now, 10:1 pistons, a hot cam, 4 or more barrels sitting on the intake and maybe some mild head work and 400 hp isn't hard at all.
The best bet for that little motor is to go with a set of 779 heads for the 330-341s. Get a set of Hilborns and set it up for TPI injection. Could make for an interesting street motor.

Attachments

• injected desoto2.jpg
    81.8 KB · Views: 286
I know this is an old thread but rustyratrod had one for sale recently that was a smokin deal. I think it was a 331 all redone. Wish I hadn't already spent money on a motor or I would have owned it. Check with him to see if he still has it. Had it less than a month ago.

Got three Desotos sitting here in eastern PA in my brother's old salvage yard. I think the car have been sitting only 10-12 years. I don't know much about the engines.. yet.

I sent you a PM with a link. I have a freshly rebuilt 331 almost complete.

I purchased an old altered T body years ago that had an early Hemi in it. The guy I bought it from didn't know much about it (it had been his deceased brothers car). This was back in the mid 70s and I didn't have easy access to information about these motors back then. Using the early Hemi section of the old Direct Connection manual I tried to determine what engine it was. The bore seemed to identify it as a 331 but the stroke was odd so we figured it had a stroker crank in it. It had a Howards roller cam in it, six Stromberg carbs on top, an aluminum finned 'fuelie' front cover, and forged 13 &1/2 to 1 compression pistons. Since then I purchased a set of boxed rods, a new set of un-welded zoomie tube headers, aluminum roller rockers, an un-machined block girdle and a Cragar blower manifold for it. I was told that it had sodium filled valves and that there was port work done on the heads. It has been sitting in a pile out in my garage collecting dust for over 35 years. I realize that everything would need rebuilt but it'd be a great start for someone wanting to build a wild early Hemi. I sold the Vertex magneto off of it years ago. - Located in Nebraska.

Status
Not open for further replies.
-
Back