Early-Late Harmonic Balancer question.

-

rustytoolss

Reaction score
I have a 1963 318 Poly. I think that I have a harmonic balancer issue. The early poly engines have the timing mark on the passenger side of the engine, like the early 273/318/340. And the later LA small blocks have the timing mark on the drivers side.
Does anyone know if these timing marks were spaced 90 degree apart ? Also my engine is stock. I see that Dorman sells a replacement Harmonic Balancer for 1972 and up 318s. Has anyone use a auto parts replacement Balancer ? any issues ? I really have no need for a high dollar performance balancer.

I got rid of all my later balancers so I have no way of checking. You might need to use a piston stop and set a new mark that way.

Alan

thanks, just looked at Summit big dollar Damper..was for the newer timing case/ but said if used on engine with marks on passenger side (the TDC mark would be OFF 90 Degrees) Sounds like a timing tape wouls solve this problem and a stock replacement balancer.

Since they were all internally balanced and I "BELIEVE" the balancers physically interchange between the 318 A and LA, all that's needed is to get the engine up to true TDC on #1 and put a new mark on the balancer to coincide with the zero on the pointer.

Does anyone know if these timing marks were spaced 90 degree apart
My 67 273 has a later timing cover with the cast in drivers side timing mark.

The stock timing mark is the passanger side bolt on type. I checked some time ago and the two were not 90 deg apart.

Dont know if that helps, as RRR said, all you need to do is find TDC and make a Newmark on the damper. A hack saw blade and some white paint.

My 67 273 has a later timing cover with the cast in drivers side timing mark.

The stock timing mark is the passanger side bolt on type. I checked some time ago and the two were not 90 deg apart.

Dont know if that helps, as RRR said, all you need to do is find TDC and make a Newmark on the damper. A hack saw blade and some white paint.
On my 63 318 poly the timing marks on the cover is a sheet metal plate (in good shape), and are on the passenger side.

Last edited:
-
Back