Easiest/ fastest way to bring body down to bare metal

-

67cudaResto89

Reaction score
So ive tried a da sander with 80 grit trying to not gouge the metal too bad but the problem im running intonis there is abOut 4 different colors plus primers on this car plus lots of bOndo so does anyone know of the best way to go about
Bringing the entire body down to bare metal? Thanks very much!

Aircraft stripper will do it a coat at a time kinda messy but pretty fast
And easy

I ve used a variable speed grinder on the slowest speed with an 80 grit 8in green corp discs and it will take you no time at all to have it stripped to bare tin. It willnot gouge the metal, but it WILL make heat, so move quickly as not to warp your panels.
I have used this method a half dozen times and it works great.

I have an 80lb portable sandblaster i know that that can create a lot of heat as well but would that method work the only problem is that it is in an enclosed garage so i would def need some sort of mask/bodysuit.

I used these paint stripper disc's on my 4 1/2" grinder, they work great..

Attachments

• 641677_front500.jpg
    65.4 KB · Views: 530
I used these paint stripper disc's on my 4 1/2" grinder, they work great..

Those create a bunch of heat too. Clean Strip is sold at Walmart and most auto parts stores. Use a vapor mask. Water neutralizes the stripper. You could always rent a soda blaster! I would steer clear of sandblasting at all cost! Even at 90psi you can warp a panel severely.

I am prepping my car for paint at a friend's shop that has been in the business for over 40 years. He uses all methods and on my car he handed me a single edge razor blade and told me to strip the hood and then use a DA with 180 for whatever was left. It took me approx 45 minutes to remove all the paint and about an hour to DA the remaining areas of primer. I had heard of doing this but never tried it, works great.

Paint stripper is the best method for removing the paint. It's messy, but no fear of warping panels. Cleans up with water and saves time. DA the small areas that are left.

+1 on the stripping disc, have done my whole car with it, no issues from heating, never even a thought. For the small spaces I use paint stripper and a wire brush.

I ended up using the Kleen strip and its working pretty well theres
Jus so many layers of paint i had to go over it twice. For the smaller areas like the trunk gutter and stuff ill probably use some sort of media blasting

I'm using a combo 80 grit sanding discs and hand sanding. I have found three shades of primer, pea green, rust red, and gray under the original paint. I've been told I don't need to go to bare metal only make sure the original paint is up so that it doesn't react to the new paint when sprayed over it through the primer. The toughes time I've had is getting into corners, for example seams, under the battery tray, radiator yoke and all that. Will a dremel work or is it to slow and or weak to grind rust?

a dremel should work i just see it taking an awful long time. How about a stripping disc like a few others mentioned on here that should be thin enough to get into the tougher areas thats what i plan on doing when i reach that point.

I have been told the razor blade method (previously mentioned) does work pretty efficiency with low damage to the metal.

use an 8" mud hog with a 40 grit disc on it... hold it flat and move around alot... just keep cutting until you just start to hit metal... then 60 DA... ALOT faster...

I'm using a combo 80 grit sanding discs and hand sanding. I have found three shades of primer, pea green, rust red, and gray under the original paint. I've been told I don't need to go to bare metal only make sure the original paint is up so that it doesn't react to the new paint when sprayed over it through the primer. The toughes time I've had is getting into corners, for example seams, under the battery tray, radiator yoke and all that. Will a dremel work or is it to slow and or weak to grind rust?

I've been using kleen strip and a wire brush both on a drill and by hand to hit corners, it works quickly.

Do a section at a time. Tape clear plastic to the panel and inject or pore paint stripper into a slit cut in the plastic. Without trapping too much air, tape over the slit and spread the contained stripper around on the panel surface. This works like a charm. The paint stripper is not wasted, keeps the fumes more contained, makes cleanup easier and it can be reused. In fact it seems to work better after the first use for some reason. :toothy8:

-
Back