Eastwood Tig welder

-

dartjack

Reaction score
Anyone seen/bought the Eastwood Tig/Plasma set. $1299 A whole bunch cheaper than Miller etc. I kinda beleive you get what you pay for.

We had one at the shop. It stopped working a few months after we got it. Eastwood replaced it and paid shipping both ways. We actually sold the replacement to one of the guys that left for greener pastures. It seemed to work well, although you could tell it was a cheaply made machine.

My buddy is a professional welder. He told me they are junk and to stay away from them. He only buys Miller.

Miller Welder mig
Hypotherm Plasma Cutter the one i have at home cuts through 3/4"
never had an issue
Miller sync wave for tig app.

99% of the stuff you get from Eastwood is just someone else's stuff, with the "Eastwood" name stuck on the side.

You pay extra for that name and the one stop, catalog shopping experience.

If you want a welder, go to a welding supply house. You will get a better machine for the same money.

Or, buy a good, used machine.

I didn't buy a welder but I bought a plasma cutter from them and have been very happy with it. I bought my mig from Home Depot. It is a Lincoln 175 amp 220v.

The everlast welders seem like a decent product.
http://www.everlastgenerators.com/products-category-58.html
chinese made like most of the welders out there.

I bought chinese items from ebay and sniped some good deals, dc mig $600, ac/dc tig (welds aluminium) $600, 50amp plasma $400.
They are all over 2 years old and still work fine.
But, if I had the money I would've bought a Kempi tig. $5000 though.

If you want to buy a new welder, Miller, Hobart and Lincoln are the best choices. Pretty much in that order too. Miller's are more expensive, but you really do get what you pay for in this case. Will they all lay down equivalent welds? Pretty much. But, if past machines are any indication, Miller's will outlast all of them. Not to mention that Miller still supports almost all of their old machines.

On that point, buying a used welder isn't a bad idea at all. Old Miller's tend to have better duty cycles than their modern equivalent's, and you can get them for a lot less than new if you know what you're looking for. A lot of people out there buy some pretty nice welders, use them a couple times, and then sit on them until they sell them.

I have a 1972 Miller 320 AB/P TIG welder and a mid-seventies Millermatic 35 MIG. The 320 AB/P has a 60% duty cycle at 200 amps! And it will stick weld and serve as the power unit for the powcon plasma cutter that came with it. I bought it for under $400, and it came with everything, including a water cooling unit, brand new torch, a bunch of gas welding supplies and the previously mentioned plasma cutter. Heck the extra long stick welding leads (20ft+ and super heavy duty) that came with it are probably worth almost as much as I paid for the whole mess in copper alone. You have to be a little more hands on with setting it up, ie, throwing lever switches and messing with a rheostat dial instead of pushing a button, but there's nothing digital on it and I suspect it will probably last forever.

Never used an eastwood. Love my miller. Eastwoods stuff is rebranded, but sometimes things are made to their specs & perform a little better than the chinese counterparts. Keep in mind though that their products are for the hobbyist & may not last as long as professional grade equipment.

-
Back