Eastwood's Rust Dissolver

-

flyboy01

Its almost done!
Reaction score
I bought a gallon of Eastwood's Rust Dissolver last week and I gave it a try I have had some parts soaking for 24 hours. I have to say I am EXTREMELY impressed. My parts were 38 year old rusty suspension pieces, they look like new now. Here are some pictures.

This product works great for anything that can be soaked in it, I submerged heavily rusted suspension pieces, it removed paint, grease, rust and dirt. The parts came out beautiful. This stuff only works on parts that can be completely submerged. Don't beleive the directions, it takes a few days to remove rust from heavily rusted pieces, not minutes and hours like the directions say. Also, forget the quart, forget the gallon, buy 3-4 gallons and keep it in a 5 gallon bucket, Its just easier than having to turn the pieces every few hours. Also, I rinsed the bolts with water and they flash rusted while drying. I am going to dip them again and this time spray them in WD40.

Also, ckeck out the pinion snubber, I left it half dipped overnight, amazing difference.

100_0134.jpg

100_0147.jpg

100_0137.jpg

100_0148.jpg

100_0146.jpg

I sure am glad you posted this info., I'm about to start working on my wife's 57 Chevy station wagon ( sorry guys ) and the most of the floor pan is rusted along with everything underneath that stuff looks to be the ticket

The stuff is rather expensive, but it is so easy to use. I wish I could find a 55 gallon drum of this stuff to dip larger parts into. I am thinking about getting a 4" PVC tube and putting a cap on one end so I can slide half the leaf spring into, then filling it up with the dissolver. I am definately going to buy another gallon or two for the rest of the car.

P.S. Another tip, if there is a lot of heavy rust scale on a part, hit it with a wire brush first, it will work quicker, and make the stuff last longer.

Looks like it works pretty good,i tryed their Rust Encapsulator didn't work as good as they claimed.

I have used the rust encapsulator also, it works very well, but you must prep properly for it to work. Most rust reatments are a little tricky since they only work one way, you HAVE to follow exact instructions with them. Surface rust is OK, but you must get rid of any loose rust or dirt. They also work better when you have a perfectly clean surface and use a converter underneath.

I have been using the stuff for years. They used to call it Oxy-Solve. It works like magic.

I just ordered another gallon of it last night, now I am looking for other things to unbolt and drop in now that I have a bunch of clean rust-free suspension pieces and bolts. This stuff is so cool! But then again, I am so easily amused. I am going to take a picture of the pinion snubber tomorrow and post a picture, it looks like a brand new stamping.

Here are some pictures of the completely de-rusted stuff. I ended up finally painting the stuff with Eastwood's Rust Encapsulator. Notice the stamp marks on the pinion snubber, which you cound not even see under the rust. Also, the rubber was completely undamaged by the chemical.

100_0149.jpg

100_0150.jpg

100_0153.jpg

100_0154.jpg

Eastwood sells quality products.
I highly reccomend there exhaust manifold paint as well.
I have painted a couple sets of manifolds with this paint.
One set I painted 3 years ago and they look like the day
I painted them.Good stuff.

Thanks for sharring.

I have not tried any of their products but I flip through their catelog all the time. I have had awesome success with using CLR from the local hardware store. That stuff works awesome too, and it's cheap. Leave parts in for a day and presto magic rust removal. I have used it on many parts. WD40 works very well for the flash sutface rusting if you can't paint right away.

I tried it (CLR) on some cadmium plated stuff and would not recommend doing that. The CLR took the plating off as well. Same thing for zinc plated door jams. I wonder how this product works on cleaning plated parts.

I tried it on chromed parts and it pulled the rust out completely, but the pits were still there. I am using Evapo-Rust now, which is the same stuff as Eastwoods, but MUCH cheaper since you can buy a 5gal jug for $70. I beleive it is made by the same company. I hate to sound like I am selling this stuff, but I have been working on old cars for 22 years, this is the first rust removing stuff I tried that actually worked. Everytime I use it, it still makes me giddy with laughter, like a 2 year old. :thumbup:

-
Back