Easy way to identify /6 from small block 904

-

Pyro4117

Jay
Reaction score
I need a new 904 tranny for my '68 Barracuda. I recently found someone locally with a rebuit one for sale, but he isn't sure if it's for the slant 6 or the small block V8.

I've read that the starter mounts higher up on the 6 transmissions, but if you haven't seen both, is there an easy way to tell what 'higher up' is?

Thanks

Jay

If you are looking at the trans from the converter side the starter on a /6 is at about 2 o'clock and the V8 is at about 4 o'clock.

OK, another question...

It has a tag stating it was rebuilt in '94 - no other documentation.

Are there potential problems with a tranny that has been sitting that long since a rebuild without being installed (assuming no exterior rust issues)?

For $100 is it at least a good core?

Thanks again,

Jay

Pyro4117 said:
OK, another question...

It has a tag stating it was rebuilt in '94 - no other documentation.

Are there potential problems with a tranny that has been sitting that long since a rebuild without being installed (assuming no exterior rust issues)?

For $100 is it at least a good core?

Thanks again,

Jay

The seals can dry out and it'll leak like a sive. On the upshot, for $100 it's not bad, the steals/bands should still be good and I wouldn't imagine it would cost very much to freshen it up. I'd say go for it.

Yet another question, he emailed some pictures, the close-up one of the tag says 'Mopar 904 - Lock Up'.

Were/are there models of the 904 with a lock up torque converter? Here are the pics he sent, in case they'll help identify it.

904trans02.gif

904Trans01.gif

Thanks,

Jay

Yes they made 904s with lock up converters. If the input shaft is hollow it is a lock up type trans.

I hope to go look at it some time this week. If it's a lock up type, will it work for my '68? Or is it an electronic one that requires a OBD type system?

Thanks.

Jay

i got a 904 tranny with a manual valve body. totally rebuilt from mopar

what would something like that be worth?

-
Back