EBC Pads on Kelsy Hayes Brakes

-

340sFastback

Reaction score
I was running NOS front disc pads on my car. When they got hot they lost a lot of stopping power. The pads had maybe 5,000 miles on them or so. The rotors and calipers were replaced back in the late '80s and still in excellent shape. I bleed the brakes every couple years to keep the calipers healthy. That is a must for the 4 piston calipers.

My set up is as follows:

Factory manual disc brake car.
15/16" Master Cylinder (order for '73 Duster 340 with power brakes).
7/8" rear wheel cylinder (order for '72 D100 2WD rear).
All new brake lines.
New rear drums, new rear shoes, and all new rear brake hardware.
Goodrich braided brake hose kit (front and rear).
Mopar Performance adjustable proportioning valve.

Here is what I started with:

Attachments

• 100_2461.jpg
    79.8 KB · Views: 368
  • 100_2462.jpg
    83.5 KB · Views: 350
Scuffed up both sides of the rotors with 80 grit sand paper on a rubber block by hand. Since the rotors were not warped and in good shape just wanted to break the glaze off the surface. Also sanded down non-surface areas to knock some rust off so they will run cooler. Then washed them with Super Clean and let set dry. The sanded surfaces got a little flash rust so I hit them with the sand paper one more time and wiped them down with Wax and Grease Remover:

Attachments

• 100_2466.jpg
    91.1 KB · Views: 404
  • 100_2467.jpg
    118.4 KB · Views: 345
Took a 2" PVC pipe, cut a 1/2" wide slit in it, and used a hose clamp to compress the pipe to make a tool to drive in the new grease caps. This way new caps would not get dented up. Grease caps are Dorman 618-100.

I also used National 8121S grease seals. They have a funny looking collar on them that faces out. I used an unmodified 2" PVC pipe to drive them in.

Attachments

• 100_2481.jpg
    66.7 KB · Views: 361
  • 100_2469.jpg
    82 KB · Views: 363
  • 100_2468.jpg
    56 KB · Views: 349
Put it all together and took it for a drive. The brakes stop like I have never seen before with less pedal effort. EBC says brakes will not be at their full potential until about 1,000 miles. But so far I am impressed. I was easy on the brakes since they are new but I can lock those front brakes up whenever I want without any trouble.

Attachments

• 100_2478.jpg
    86.4 KB · Views: 360
  • 100_2488.jpg
    82.1 KB · Views: 340
  • 100_2479.jpg
    66.4 KB · Views: 335
I spent 839.50 on EBC rotors and pads for my 07 4x4 diesel 2500. The difference in stopping effort is unbelievable. I'm totally sold on EBC brakes!

Yeah they are pricey but these Kelsey Hayes brakes really need these pads in order to work the way brakes should work. Car is so much more fun to drive not having to worry about stopping. I have not have much drive time but so far these brake pads are impressive. And they are suppose to get better when fully broken in.

Yeah they are pricey but these Kelsey Hayes brakes really need these pads in order to work the way brakes should work. Car is so much more fun to drive not having to worry about stopping. These brake pads are really impressive.

where did you get them and if you dont mind, what was the cost?

I got them at autopartswarehouse.com and they were $109 shipped, part number DP31157C. These pads also fit '65 - '67 Mustangs. They are really expensive but from what I have seen so far I think it was money well spent. I need this car to stop with authority and so far these pads along with all my other brake modifications are making that happen.

You can also get them from summit racing. I have a tread going about which pad to use for the single piston calipers

EBS has the same price and free shipping but they would not take my credit card so I moved on. I could not find them any cheaper anywhere.

They are very nice.Abuddy bought a set for his 04 Mustang GT.He road races,Laguna Seca track days. Hit 100 + on the straights,complained about brake fade.Heavy car,high sustained heat.Simply did not understand about pad quality.

-
Back