ecu mounting

-

barbee6043

barbee 6043
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I know Ma mopar used a bracket behind the ecu when they went etectronic control box in early 70's.... I 'm fixing to mount the ecu on fender of the 62 toad. I have decades before always just screwed it to the fender or firewall direct no bracket. I never had one fail, but I have seen plenty melted in the boneyards.....

I can fab a bracket out of alum. but I don't understand why the ecu will be hardly if any cooler doing that? since the ecu is flat against the surface of the bracket.???

I know, mount a HEI! LOL

Isn't the backside potted in epoxy? If so, you wouldn't get much heat transfer to the bracket. I think it relies on the aluminum plate under the top transistor for cooling. The main thing is to insure the case gets a good ground. Best to run a wire to a solid ground, not rely on the sheet metal screw like the factory did.

Keep it where it can't get any water on it....

I had one behind a rusty inner fender with a huge hole that shorted out every time I hit a puddle. It once took me 45 minutes to go 2 miles in 38° slush because of all of the dying and restarting.... That's when I decided not to fix any more rusty bodies and get more solid ones....

-
Back