ECU-Orange Box

-

69signetv8

Reaction score
Question, Have the orange box. Can they "partially" have a fault or when shot their toast their toast. I'm doing some troubleshooting on it and "all" wires going to it "are" correct and it's grounded well. Car keeps stalling on when heated up and at times will not restart until cold. Already did fuel stuff if you read my last thread.
I have Checked all my wires and componates "I" can think of and swapped out the following parts: coil, distrubutor Cap. I also put on the timing light "when starteded" and getting spark. I just don't know if the ECU acts up at higher RPM or heats up and fails. (It is in a cool location and ground well).

I'm starting to hate my mopar and it know's it :silent:

The ECU,s are cheap to get and if you have one or a freind has a spare one ,give it a try,There have been many cases of the ECU doing weird things,order a nother orange box and try it,Mrmopartech

just a sugestion dont over look the voltage regulator. Thats what my main electrical problem was. My car ran then died when i got it. i had to swap the ecu it was melted when i got it anyways, then i bought a coil, still nothing. then i did more research and found out...you must have a electonic (ign) volts reg to run elec. ign. well one came with the car, and i wired her up. she fired right up :)

either way i would get another ECU, even if it comes out to be something else...always a good idea to have a working spare, because one day it WILL go out, you can count on that.

just my .02cents.

I'm very sure the volt reg is up to snuff. I will swap out the ECU. I also read a thread that the modulator inside the distrubuter could be acting up so I will try anothor one as well.
Thanks guys, Jim

Well after a lot of good suggestions plus the kitchen sink, I may have gotten it. Got around the block twice tonight without stalling, stumbbles or swearing.

I swapped out the distrubutor. perhaps the modual inside was going?? I will no for sure tomorrow

Don't know if this is your problem or not but I had a simialar problem in my 73 sattelite years ago. May seem dumb, but have you checked the 2 wires that go to your coil, if you get those swapped around for whatever reason, you will be able to drive a bit and then it will die. Let it cool and it will restart and run until it gets hot and then it will die again. You will search all else till your blue in the face but I am almost certain this is what it sounds like is wrong with your car.

krabysniper said:
Don't know if this is your problem or not but I had a simialar problem in my 73 sattelite years ago. May seem dumb, but have you checked the 2 wires that go to your coil, if you get those swapped around for whatever reason, you will be able to drive a bit and then it will die. Let it cool and it will restart and run until it gets hot and then it will die again. You will search all else till your blue in the face but I am almost certain this is what it sounds like is wrong with your car.

Thanks, yes I checked them. Went over all the wiring and did continuity checks. As well, checks on most parts that I could. That's why I'm at the "fix by replacement" stage of the part. Kinda sucks. Seems to be working now that I change the distributor. Perhaps it was the pick-up inside acting up.
Thanks again.

-
Back