Edelbrock 1405/1406 compatiblity

-

4spdragtop

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know if a 1405 base will work in place of 1406 base? I fd up jets I just bought and the seller is being nice enough to offer me a 1405 base.
I do want to run an elec choke.
Thanks
Steve

Does anyone know if a 1405 base will work in place of 1406 base? I fd up jets I just bought and the seller is being nice enough to offer me a 1405 base.
I do want to run an elec choke.
Thanks
Steve

Hey Steve.
From what I have seen they are identical.
FYI, I have a full set of 1406 parts that I don’t need including the choke assembly and the special throttle cable bracket for Mopars.
(switched to Holly)

I think they interchange. There's a thread here somewhere telling the differences. I tried searching, but couldn't find it. If I remember, most of the differences were in the boosters.

Heres a general question.....why isnt the 1405 offered with an elec choke?
The 1405 is a richer running carb and more designed for performance.
The 1406 is a leaner running daily driver type carb.

I’ll answer your PM in a bit here.

Both bases/bodies are interchangeable. The 1405 is for performance & the 1406 is for economy. From an Edel catalog [ remember those!!! ]

Heres a general question.....why isnt the 1405 offered with an elec choke?
Edelbrock considers the electric choke more of a convenience than performance. I'm "pretty sure" the electric choke kit can be added to the 1405, though.

here’s a 1405 w/electric choke

22ADC8A6-5107-4F2A-823E-342E8348FBD9.jpeg

There might be a problem with what has been done in post #10. There is usually a manifold vacuum port that connects to these types of choke units. What it does: if the throttle is opened suddenly with a partially closed choke, the choke blade is opened via the linkages to prevent engine stalling.
There is a boss on the carb behind the choke unit that is drilled for man vac. On carbs that did not have a choke originally, this boss would not be drilled or might be plugged.

Heres pics of what you're talking about.
1405 on left, pointing to brass "plug". On the 1406 there is a small oring between the boss and the choke housing.

There might be a problem with what has been done in post #10. There is usually a manifold vacuum port that connects to these types of choke units. What it does: if the throttle is opened suddenly with a partially closed choke, the choke blade is opened via the linkages to prevent engine stalling.
There is a boss on the carb behind the choke unit that is drilled for man vac. On carbs that did not have a choke originally, this boss would not be drilled or might be plugged.

20230410_174745.jpg

20230410_174756.jpg

IIRC they list specifically the carbs that won't accept a choke kit.

Now I know why.

Thanks.

-
Back