Edelbrock 1405 carb. running way too rich

-

R72Demon

Reaction score
I have a Edelbrock 1405 on my mild built 318 and it is running way to rich. At idle it smokes and is real fumy. And when I put it in gear it usually dies. I need some tuning help.

I'd still check the floats. Yeah I know it sucks to pull the cover off a brand new carb. If there is a bit of crud in one of the needle/seats your float level will be way high and you will be silly rich. Also, somebody posted that recently Eddy's have been shipped with misadjusted floats. Anyhow float level is where I'd start.

Choke is open right?

73 Demon340

C130CHIEF is right! My Edelbrock out of the box had float levels so far off that besides running rich, when I shut the car off the fuel would run over the venturi's and flood into the intake making startup up pain in the you know what. Yeah you'd think that you wouldn't be pulling the top off of a brand new carb, but hey who knows if the guy on the assembly line really cares about exact measurements or not or maybe he's got a wife or girlfriend that's giving him to much to think about when he's at work. Who knows, but do like Chief says and check the floats.

-
Back