Edelbrock 1406 Carb purge canister connection

-

TRWRacing

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
vacuum advance is connected to the timed port of the passenger side and full manifold vacuum is capped.

Need to connect the purge connection of the canister.

IMG_0638.JPG

What year is the car? The charcoal canisters either had one or two lines coming off it to the engine/carb. If it's only one, then the other is capped on the canister.

Please consider replacing that rubber fuel line with a metal line!

What year is the car? The charcoal canisters either had one or two lines coming off it to the engine/carb. If it's only one, then the other is capped on the canister.

Please consider replacing that rubber fuel line with a metal line!
It is a 1973 with 3 lines. I have the bowl vent capped since this carb doesn't have that provision.

I am ordering the Edelbrock metal banjo line. I was not able to fabricate a steel line to my satisfaction.

The canister connects to the carburetor float bowl vent. The 1406 does not have a nipple for the canister to connect to, so you will have to either leave it off, or you can connect it to a nipple on the air cleaner assembly.

The canister connects to the carburetor float bowl vent. The 1406 does not have a nipple for the canister to connect to, so you will have to either leave it off, or you can connect it to a nipple on the air cleaner assembly.

This is the purge connection though?. I understand the bowl vent, but my MP air cleaner doesn't have a nipple provision.

This is the purge connection though?. I understand the bowl vent, but my MP air cleaner doesn't have a nipple provision.

Which car is this on? Do you have an FSM for it? That would tell you exactly which lines go where.

Which car is this on? Do you have an FSM for it? That would tell you exactly which lines go where.

It's a '73 Dart Sport but no longer stock. I believe the purge was to connect to a port just above the throttle plate. I have to the vac advance connected to the timed port. The other port on the carb is manifold vacuum. Do I connect the vacuum advance to full vacuum and connect the purge canister port to the timed vacuum port on the carb?

It's a '73 Dart Sport but no longer stock. I believe the purge was to connect to a port just above the throttle plate. I have to the vac advance connected to the timed port. The other port on the carb is manifold vacuum. Do I connect the vacuum advance to full vacuum and connect the purge canister port to the timed vacuum port on the carb?

I would leave the distributor on the timed port. Although you can run it on manifold vacuum, you will have to readjust the initial timing.

I THOUGHT that one line went to manifold vacuum, one to the float bowl vent and the other of course to the tank vapor return. But an FSM would tell you for sure.

It is a 1973 with 3 lines. I have the bowl vent capped since this carb doesn't have that provision.

I am ordering the Edelbrock metal banjo line. I was not able to fabricate a steel line to my satisfaction.

Hi TRWRacing...here is my post of 7/16/16 of how I solved the gas line diameter differences (3/8" fitting from banjo to 5/16" steel line)-remove the 3/8" inlet fitting from the Edelbrock banjo line and order the adapter fitting....please read my attached post... you will have about a 4" piece of rubber R9 fuel injection line (much better for today's aggressive fuels). I would strongly recommend replacing all the R7 rubber lines in the car to R9....hope this helps you and any other FABO'er in this same situation.
All the Best,
318MG

Good Morning,
Had the problem of running a short piece of new R9 fuel injection hose from the steel 5/16 to the 3/8 inlet on the 1406. Previously tried 3/8" hose to inlet (fits perfect on that end), but then had problem of how to seal 3/8 hose on 5/16 steel line...that's a no go!!! I went down to the local speed shop in Indian Trail, NC to see what they had...bingo!!!! I got a Fragola Performance Systems fitting- P/N 484205 BL-#6 MALE X 5/16 BARB in black aluminum that screwed right into my Edelbrock chrome banjo inlet fitting...used the banjo to eliminate as much rubber hose runs as I could. It fit perfectly, then I used a new 4" piece of 5/16 R9 (fuel injection hose...previously changed all old R7 rubber hose in the entire system to R9 to safely deal the aggressive fuels like ethanol we have to use now) and 2 ABA fuel injection clamps with rolled edges so as not to cut into fuel line when tightening. Put it all together...fired the Swinger up....checked for leaks (none)....I am very happy with it and hope this helps someone in the same situation without having to do more involved stuff. I don't post much, but read FABO everyday to gain knowledge and see how you guys and gals deal with things on their A-Bodies. Happy Moparing to all!!!
318MG

Why not just order a 3/8" Carter AVS pump to carb steel fuel line from Inline Tube ?
They usually come in 5/16", but they had no problem bending one up in 3/8" for me.

s-l300.jpg

See this article:
Fixing 1970s Evaporation Control Systems

First, your 1406 carb does not have an external bowl vent. Most carbs during the charcoal canister era did. This external bowl vent was fitting coming out of the top of the fuel bowl usually and it was connected to the appropriate fitting on the charcoal canister. I believe this fitting was often labeled "carb" but you'd need to check the allpar article to be sure. Again, your carb doesn't have an external bowl vent, so if you have this fitting on your charcoal canister just cap it off.

The purge port on the charcoal canister from the factory is supposed to hook to the purge port on your carb. The purge port on the carb is a port similar to your ported vacuum port but the fitting is a larger diameter. The purge fitting only has vacuum off-idle, similar to a ported/timed vacuum port. Your 1406 carb does not have this port. In order to make your charcoal canister function properly, with your air cleaner setup, you will need to do the following:

First, you need to see if your charcoal canister has a purge valve built into it. It usually looks like a cylinder on top of the canister.

If it does have this valve all you need to do a tee a line from that purge port to the PCV line.

If it does not have that valve you need to purchase a separate one NAPA Echlin #2-28011. Run a hose from the purge port on the canister, to the purge valve, and then tee the purge valve into the PCV line. The small fitting on the top of the purge valve you need to tee into the vacuum advance line.

Inline replied back to me and said 5/16" line only offered.

See this article:
Fixing 1970s Evaporation Control Systems

First, your 1406 carb does not have an external bowl vent. Most carbs during the charcoal canister era did. This external bowl vent was fitting coming out of the top of the fuel bowl usually and it was connected to the appropriate fitting on the charcoal canister. I believe this fitting was often labeled "carb" but you'd need to check the allpar article to be sure. Again, your carb doesn't have an external bowl vent, so if you have this fitting on your charcoal canister just cap it off.

The purge port on the charcoal canister from the factory is supposed to hook to the purge port on your carb. The purge port on the carb is a port similar to your ported vacuum port but the fitting is a larger diameter. The purge fitting only has vacuum off-idle, similar to a ported/timed vacuum port. Your 1406 carb does not have this port. In order to make your charcoal canister function properly, with your air cleaner setup, you will need to do the following:

First, you need to see if your charcoal canister has a purge valve built into it. It usually looks like a cylinder on top of the canister.

If it does have this valve all you need to do a tee a line from that purge port to the PCV line.

If it does not have that valve you need to purchase a separate one NAPA Echlin #2-28011. Run a hose from the purge port on the canister, to the purge valve, and then tee the purge valve into the PCV line. The small fitting on the top of the purge valve you need to tee into the vacuum advance line.

Thank you. This very helpful and I will correct it. I need to fix the line from the carb to the fuel pressure regulator on the inner fender well. I am going to run a 3/8" steel line to replace most of the hose.

NOS canister- should I install small engine fuel filter on the purge outlet to prevent charcoal to dump in the pvc line? If it should start to degrade?

Eliminated as much rubber fuel line as I could
Holley regulator is 12-840 model set to 5.5

IMG_0699.JPG

IMG_0700.JPG

-
Back