Edelbrock 1406 on 318 jetting

-

65barracudaLA

Reaction score
4rjogoqrzoyxkfvtsiervzqyx93e2lbgarohw5upswsrm9vgnocmvb21-k8epbuncrc-w798-h1064-no-authuser-0-jpg.jpg

kg_qoiwaxkhellhahtxzmn5b65yekvsl-cbwaenn8iz5jpv1dzwpkryx1pfq_qlklgg-w736-h1064-no-authuser-0-jpg.jpg

I finally swapped the 318 into my '65 Barracuda. I have an Edelbrock 1406 carb that I have taken apart and cleaned and blew air through everything. I have rebuilt Carter BBDs before, but never changed anything on them and my knowledge of carbs is very limited. Before I put it back together I want to know what jets to put in. I have the Edelbrock calibration kit. It seems like metering rods and springs are easy to change out, but changing the jets is a bit more involved - once it's in the car. I prefer fuel economy over power, because it's a daily driver, but I also don't want to unnecessarily leave power on the table.

Here are the specs:
-1965 Barracuda
-console/ cable shifted A904
-7-1/4 sure grip with 2.73 gears
-stock exhaust manifolds, dual TTi exhaust, 2.5" diameter ea., H-pipe, Dynomax Super Turbo Mufflers
-stock 1969 LA 318 bottom end, 163 heads (bought it that way), Edelbrock Performer 318/360 intake, electronic ignition.

I have heard that the 600cfm carb is too big for the engine and that it would run too rich. Putting smaller jets in there should help, right? Could using the smallest jets in the kit make it run too lean? As far as I know it comes stock with the 0.98" jets and the smallest jet in the kit is 0.95". So I guess the question is: Does anything speak against putting in the 0.95" jets?

There is no way for somebody to say "run this jet" and you are good. For the ultimate tune, the engine will have to be tuned according to the engine demands. Other than that, it's pin the tail on the Donkey, you may get lucky and hit the target but probably not. In your case, I agree with RRR and would START with the stock jetting.

The stock 1406 is a good starting point.Do not go too lean to gain fuel economy.You may end up with poor driveability.
Density Altitude Plays a major roll in jetting . What works at sea level may not be the best at 3,000 ft above or more.
Edelbrock web site has a good scale and diagram for proper jetting.

Correct: very easy to work on & easy to tune.
Incorrect: Built from Carter specs; there were many changes. There were 505 versions of the original AFB.

-
Back