Edelbrock 1406 which air cleaner?

-

DartGTDan

'71 Dart GT Fan
Reaction score
My Dart GT is finally sporting an Edelbrock LD4B intake manifold and a 1406 600 c.f.m. carburetor and I need an air filter assembly. I got one from a buddy that has a "dropped base" and it does not clear the electric choke on the carburetor.

I just want a simple no name chrome lid with a 14" diameter and 3" high filter. What are you Edelbrock 1406 carburetor guys using?

:thankyou:

I have basically what you want and exactly the same carb, but my air cleaner has K&N stamped in it.
Point is that the K&N 14x3 size is really common but finding one with no brand on it might be a little tougher.

SANY0007.JPG

Dads has the orig chrome commando cleaner. We had to MacGyver an adapter base to fit the eddy 1406. Its tight with Ld4b on it too.

Doesn't the drop base have provisions (dips) in it for the fuel bowls on a Holley? Spin it around to where the dip part is over the electric choke part, I've done that before myself, depending on the base it may work for you

Yes, there are a couple of dips about 180* apart/across from each other but not enough room to clear the choke. Darn!

I run basically the same setup - a Mr Gasket 14" x 3" works on my car - it has a drop base to fit under the hood and it came in black (chrome if you want it)

Found an Edelbrock 14" X 3" chrome (with the Edelbrock script lettering on it) air filter assembly at the local AutoZone. The base fits perfectly, and I used the old plain chrome lid from the air filter I got from my buddy. The brand new shiny Edelbrock lid may become some wall art for the garage.

Yeah those dips are to clear the float bowls on a Holley, the drop base air cleaners are more designed for engines with high rise intakes which are normally running holleys, I've made one fit an eddy before I don't remember if I maybe had to massage it a little or If maybe it just happened to fit, sometimes when you got to get something running and use what you have, you do what you gotta do

-
Back