Edelbrock Air-Gap intake reviews???

-

71duster06

Reaction score
Has everyone that has used this intake had good luck with the ports matching right up. I have heard horry stories on the off-brand copies of this intake about the gaskets and ports being way off. Any input/pointers requarding this intake would be great. I typically use Fel-Pro gaskets as well... I just want to find out if there are any bugs before I get this intake.

fyi...it is going on a 70' 340

They matched up quite well on my x heads and the same when I went to my eddy heads. As far as the gasket, eddy says use theirs or a specific fel-pro gasket which is what I used.

Should be ok. If they are off any a gasket/port match will fix it and thats some thing you should do any way.

OK, Im going to get in before the haters come. I have had both intakes. The crosswind matchs up to the magnum gaskets aka why the ports were smaller and etc. If you take the magnum eddy intake, the ports are the same or close to the crosswind. I had no problem with the crosswind at all. I got the eddy magnum air gap and IMM said the ports were copied from the magnum style duh for me, so he is port matching them to the heads I have and now they will be opened up. Both intakes are good. Crosswind and magnum eddy have basically same size port. Eddy LA air gap, I have seen core shifts, but if your port matching then it might not be bad, but I have also seen crosswinds where the gaskets lined up perfect, so it goes either way. Most just complain because its not made in USA...But important things like gas and oil prolly arent from USA either, blended maybe but orginially not.

Have it on my 1970 340 , everything lined up , runs great . The off brands , no idea about them , lots of people say they work great , many here say they are junk . I bought the Edelbrock Air-Gap , not the copy .
Only thing is not heat passage and choke mount , so far not a problem , only drive in summer and car always starts right up , light pressure on the pedal 1100 rpm for a minute and it's ready to roll
dartsummer2011014.jpg

Hey:

Unless its race-only, its the best intake or small block Mopar, bar none.

I used the real thing. The knockoff is horsepower robbing Chinese recycled pop can crap.

The intake ports matched up to my heads very very well, even though I'm using an LA intake on Magnum-style heads. I used the Edelbrock gaskets. They are awesome.

Hey:

Unless its race-only, its the best intake or small block Mopar, bar none.

I used the real thing. The knockoff is horsepower robbing Chinese recycled pop can crap.

The intake ports matched up to my heads very very well, even though I'm using an LA intake on Magnum-style heads. I used the Edelbrock gaskets. They are awesome.

robbing? and thats for the same claims as last time right? ports are small? Because when we did this last time you didnt say the Eddy intake was LA or Magnum and now you say its LA...Thats why the ports were smaller duh. The crosswind has magnum ports, ask Brian at IMM, we just did a Magnum eddy and he called and said we HAD to port match the intake because the ports were so small as they were made for the magnum heads which have smaller ports/runners.

so LA v cross wind yes go LA but if edyy magnum v. cross wind, then theres no reall difference.

""now you say its LA...Thats why the ports were smaller duh. The crosswind has magnum ports, ask Brian at IMM, we just did a Magnum eddy and he called and said we HAD to port match the intake because the ports were so small as they were made for the magnum heads which have smaller ports/runners.

So are you saying the eddy LA has small ports and the eddy magnum has small ports ??

""now you say its LA...Thats why the ports were smaller duh. The crosswind has magnum ports, ask Brian at IMM, we just did a Magnum eddy and he called and said we HAD to port match the intake because the ports were so small as they were made for the magnum heads which have smaller ports/runners.

So are you saying the eddy LA has small ports and the eddy magnum has small ports ??

what? did you read what I said? I said I had to port match the eddy MAGNUM intake to the heads because they were small. LXGUY compared his crosswind to his LA eddy air gap and thats why when he compared them, the crosswind runners looked smaller, because the LA eddy ones are bigger than both magnum intakes

Okay it wasn't clear , now comparing crosswind magnum to eddy la makes sense .

Okay it wasn't clear , now comparing crosswind magnum to eddy la makes sense .

ya thats why people say its crap and the runners are small.. ITs not a LA intake its a magnum based intake that will fit both.

agreed, mine fit well, but I wanted to see the difference with the magnum and now I have. And Proved why everyone was complaining.

I have 2 and both were real close on the port match. Just needed the smallest of matching to make them perfect. I used Fel-Pro's on both.

Awesome...I knew they are already the desired intake...but it is also nice to know of any downfalls before I get one. Thanks guys

Awesome...I knew they are already the desired intake...but it is also nice to know of any downfalls before I get one. Thanks guys

there are no downfalls unless your motor is something geared more toward 6500+ rpm.

robbing? and thats for the same claims as last time right? ports are small?

Claims? Facts haven't changed in the last couple of weeks. I didn't say the ports were small, I said the runners were small and the shape was bad. BIG difference. Though the ports are actually small too.

Magnum ports are almost equally wide to the LA, about .01 difference. The height on the LA is greater. Think about it, the pushrods are in the same place, how much wider could the LA be? La ports are taller than the Magnums, I guess.

Because when we did this last time you didnt say the Eddy intake was LA or Magnum and now you say its LA...

So why is it if I post something contrary to what you want to believe you make out like I'm being deceptive or dishonest? I sent you pics of my Pro Products chinese intake and the Magnum Air Gap intake I tried as well. I've owned all 3 of the intakes in question.

Thats why the ports were smaller duh. The crosswind has magnum ports, ask Brian at IMM, we just did a Magnum eddy and he called and said we HAD to port match the intake because the ports were so small as they were made for the magnum heads which have smaller ports/runners.

so LA v cross wind yes go LA but if edyy magnum v. cross wind, then theres no reall difference.

LOL - You say that like you have owned a Magnum Eddy intake and I haven't.

Again, here's my full disclosure:

I have EQ Magnum heads on my Magnum engine. I'm currently running an LA intake. Ports match up great. I'm using the Edelbrock LA style gaskets because they were a slightly better fit to the head than the one for the Magnums. Again, I tried both.

And AGAIN, the runner cross section on the edelbrocks is significantly larger. This means it will support more horsepower than the POS chinese deal.

Here's how I operated my intake selection: I wanted the BEST intake. By best, I mean I wanted the intake that was going to make the most power with the least amount of work, so I bought and tried ALL THREE intakes. Winner was the Edelbrock RPM Air Gap LA style - hands down.

What I did not do is buy the cheapest one and get on the internet and stomp my feet and swear it was the best one because it was the one I happened to buy.

Let me see if I can dig up the meaningful pics....

I saw the pictures, but what Im saying is ur using a LA intake on magnum heads. Brian at IMM said the ports and runners were smaller compared to the LA style aka because this one is the magnum style.

Claims? Facts haven't changed in the last couple of weeks. I didn't say the ports were small, I said the runners were small and the shape was bad. BIG difference. Though the ports are actually small too.

Magnum ports are almost equally wide to the LA, about .01 difference. The height on the LA is greater. Think about it, the pushrods are in the same place, how much wider could the LA be? La ports are taller than the Magnums, I guess.

So why is it if I post something contrary to what you want to believe you make out like I'm being deceptive or dishonest? I sent you pics of my Pro Products chinese intake and the Magnum Air Gap intake I tried as well. I've owned all 3 of the intakes in question.

LOL - You say that like you have owned a Magnum Eddy intake and I haven't.

Again, here's my full disclosure:

I have EQ Magnum heads on my Magnum engine. I'm currently running an LA intake. Ports match up great. I'm using the Edelbrock LA style gaskets because they were a slightly better fit to the head than the one for the Magnums. Again, I tried both.

And AGAIN, the runner cross section on the edelbrocks is significantly larger. This means it will support more horsepower than the POS chinese deal.

Here's how I operated my intake selection: I wanted the BEST intake. By best, I mean I wanted the intake that was going to make the most power with the least amount of work, so I bought and tried ALL THREE intakes. Winner was the Edelbrock RPM Air Gap LA style - hands down.

What I did not do is buy the cheapest one and get on the internet and stomp my feet and swear it was the best one because it was the one I happened to buy.

Let me see if I can dig up the meaningful pics....

I dont remember you saying it was a magnum air gap...you just said air gap, if i missed it, my bad...but once again the outside of the crosswind does look like crap, but the ports and runners are magnum size not LA size which is why they are smaller and guys with LA heads that run it, complain that they are smaller and lose power.

Methodology:

Gaskets were placed on the heads and tacked with silicon with best possible port match up. INtakes were installed, torqued in place. Exposed porttions of gasskets were etched with an awl. Awl marks were used to realign gaskets exactly as installed on head.

This was on my 5.9 magnum engine with EQ magnum heads drilled for dual bolt patterns.

Pro Products port, Magnum gasket.

IMG_0515.jpg

Yes, the front runner is deadheading into the divider wall between the #1 and #3 port.

IMG_0516.jpg

Same thing on 5 and 7.

LA intake, LA gasket, and with the ports being taller, BIG win for the Edelbrock LA.

IMG_0701.jpg

EDIT: Hmm, can't find the second pic of the LA intake. thought that was it but its a dupe. Alzheimer's at 40? maybe...

I don't know if the EQ ports are bigger or smaller than stock Magnum ports. However, since the head was really designed as a stock replacement for the Magnum trucks, it would seem unlikely that they're bigger. In any case, these LA style gaskets fit my intake ports on the cylinder heads very well.

I'm having difficulty turning up the Eddy magnum port photos. I only kept the Chinese intake ones for comic relief, so its possible that I have discarded the magnum port pics. In any case, I can assure you non of the ports on the Eddy deadheaded into the intake port divider wall, and the outlet shape was more uniform (and the runners were bigger).

I dont remember you saying it was a magnum air gap...you just said air gap, if i missed it, my bad...

Didn't you ask me which water neck I ran on the Magnum Air Gap?

Maybe I've got you confused with someone else...

Methodology:

Gaskets were placed on the heads and tacked with silicon with best possible port match up. INtakes were installed, torqued in place. Exposed porttions of gasskets were etched with an awl. Awl marks were used to realign gaskets exactly as installed on head.

This was on my 5.9 magnum engine with EQ magnum heads drilled for dual bolt patterns.

Pro Products port, Magnum gasket.

IMG_0515.jpg

Yes, the front runner is deadheading into the divider wall between the #1 and #3 port.

IMG_0516.jpg

Same thing on 5 and 7.

LA intake, LA gasket, and with the ports being taller, BIG win for the Edelbrock LA.

IMG_0701.jpg

EDIT: Hmm, can't find the second pic of the LA intake. thought that was it but its a dupe. Alzheimer's at 40? maybe...

I don't know if the EQ ports are bigger or smaller than stock Magnum ports. However, since the head was really designed as a stock replacement for the Magnum trucks, it would seem unlikely that they're bigger. In any case, these LA style gaskets fit my intake ports on the cylinder heads very well.

I'm having difficulty turning up the Eddy magnum port photos. I only kept the Chinese intake ones for comic relief, so its possible that I have discarded the magnum port pics. In any case, I can assure you non of the ports on the Eddy deadheaded into the intake port divider wall, and the outlet shape was more uniform (and the runners were bigger).

once again your comparing the LA intake with the Crosswind... either way the core shift on ur crosswind was off. mine and some others were not...It can go either way but brian did say the the magnum ports were small compared to the gaskets and needed to be opened up. and this is the Magnum eddy

Well, the photos seemed pretty relevant to the OPs question. Especially since I would guess he's looking to run an LA intake on a 1970 340.

As for core shift, yeah great. Some are way off, supposedly some are not, which means some may be even worse than what I got. So, quality control is for crap and there may be some out there that are worse than what I had.

I go to look at a new car, I open one door and it falls off, I don't care whether the door doesn't fall off of a different car of the same model, I'm not buying it.

Is it worth the crapshoot when most people just want to bolt it on? Hell no.

As I said several times, I did compare and do probably still have photos of the Magnum intake alignment (someplace). Runners and ports on the Magnum were also larger than the Pro Products, and for sure didn't have the misalignment issues that the Pro Products exhibited.

Well, the photos seemed pretty relevant to the OPs question. Especially since I would guess he's looking to run an LA intake on a 1970 340.

As for core shift, yeah great. Some are way off, supposedly some are not, which means some may be even worse than what I got. So, quality control is for crap and there may be some out there that are worse than what I had.

I go to look at a new car, I open one door and it falls off, I don't care whether the door doesn't fall off of a different car of the same model, I'm not buying it.

Is it worth the crapshoot when most people just want to bolt it on? Hell no.

As I said several times, I did compare and do probably still have photos of the Magnum intake alignment (someplace). Runners and ports on the Magnum were also larger than the Pro Products, and for sure didn't have the misalignment issues that the Pro Products exhibited.

MRL performance had pictures of core shifts on the LA eddy intake also, but you still bought one...They "had" photos on their too. But to each their own...every company of car makers and products have defects but some try to fix them and some dont.

-
Back