Edelbrock AVS V/S Street Demon

-

mod5v

Reaction score
Quick question I'm thinking of changing out my carter comp 600 afb with a AVS style carb. Which carb would you get ? the edel AVS or the Street Demon . Its for my 77 b body 318/904 -2.71 rear. I'm looking for smoother acceleration and better fuel economy like anyone now days. also the electric choke will help with startup.
Do these carbs require a fuel regulator like the AFB style. also which one has the most available tuning parts.

I’ll be interested to hear more about these carbs.

A troubling thing is when I see acceleration and 2.7 rear end gears in the same sentence. How tall are your rear tires? How much driving on city streets vs freeway are you doing? 3.23 would really help out the acceleration.

Not really worried about performance. its about no bogs and good drivability. here in texas if you aren't doing 75 in a 60 you are in the way so need highway gears. I have a 100 mile commute and could use some better fuel economy than the 15mpg I'm getting. This is what I'm driving. Its a 77 sport fury with a basic overhaul 360 smoger heads with .028" head gaskets,cast thermoquad intake, stock exhaust and smallest summit cam. 28" tall tires 2.71 rear gear works out to 2300 at 70. Thought about trying to find a thermoquad but they are harder to find tuning parts for.
IMG_0234.JPG

Yep, you need those gears, LOL. IMO the mileage would be better if the speeds were slower, but you can’t do that these days, Everyone is flying on the freeways. just like you said.

I got a 33mpg beater for commuting, 100 miles is a long ways.

The street demon will bolt directly to your cast TQ intake. You will need some sort of a adapter for the AVS.
I ran the 625 street demon on my 340 and was very happy with it. They also sell a tuning kit for it.

I have an almost new AVS2 with the complete tuning kit if your interested, PM me.

RRR I will PM you.
So after more research The demon has 1.38" primaries and the 650 AVS has 1.44" primaries. Don't know what difference 0.060" x2 would do to cruise speed efficiency. Just passed on a new out of box AVS2 for 275$ I like the demon reviews and cant really find many on the AVS. it appears that the AVS is usa made but the demon most likely made in far east. That makes the AVS look better. ahhh decisions.

I like the street demon myself, we put one on my dad's mild 360 in 2018 haven't touched it since works flawless.

If you are currently using an AFB carb, the AVS carb will bolt on. Edel modified the secs which is an improvement on the original AVS.
The AVS2 is a better carb & better made; the annular boosters of the AVS2 will give superb response & mileage. I was involved in the install of two Demons. One worked ok, the other had a sec bog that was only cured when the original QJ was fitted. Owner had bought the tuning kit & tried all the combinations. The owner contacted Holley tech & when the Holley chap ran out of 'fix' options on his computer, it was 'see ya later'. Holley omitted the air valve diaphragm [ Carter & Rochester didn't ] & in my opinion that can cause tuning issues [ bogs ] with such large secs.

-
Back