Edelbrock Performer OR Stock 73 Intake on 340

-

DartSport340

Reaction score
I wanted to know what you guys thought I should do on my 340 in the 73 Dart Sport. I am going back to the original TQ carb that I got last year from Demonsizzler(seemingly he is out of business now???). The car right now just had a Edelbrock Performer Intake on it(not the RPM just the regular performer) I also had the stock 340 intake that came on the car.

Car as sits has headers(pita slightly bashed ones that are getting old), Stock cam, Aerohead heads. I dont plan on doing a lot till the engine needs rebuilt as far as real "upgrades" go. I just want to run it and drive it and have some fun. The guy at the shop said for the Edelbrock to be used he would have to pull the manifold off when he drills it out to fit with the TQ carb...OR he can blast and paint the Original and use that instead....

Which would you guys do

1.Keep the Edelbrock Performer and set it up for a TQ carb.

OR

2. Clean up and use the Stock 340 manifold that came on the car and top it with the TQ carb.

Any advantages to either?..I think when the headers(probably a good 10 years+old) go im just gonna go with stock 340 exhaust manifolds probably just the 73 style or what ever I can get at a decent price..I certainly wont pay a premium for the Hi-Pos as they really do so little extra I just dont see the value being there for a lot of $$ for a couple HP gain(5 or less at 300-325 hp im guessing)

unless by then someone makes a CHEAP alternative header that works and its not happened in the last 10 years it seems to be break the bank TTI, or ill fitting other brands or stock manifolds

I dont plan to change the cam or anything untill I pull the motor to rebuild it(plans change but I just foresee it as mostly stock till that happens). And right now as its running ok I dont see a full rebuild any time soon.

Im not going for any certain look or theme just what will help it run the best in a more stock form. I dont ever foresee really building the engine past the 350-400 HP mark max ever..

in the end since I wont spend what TTI type headers cost I see this being one of those ones I try to get the best performance I can out of a stock appearing package kinda like those FAST cars that I used to read about using a mostly stock look but trying to get the best performance I can out of it.(do they even race that anymore ive not heard anything about that for a couple years now..or was that just a fad??)

stock 340 intake. I like the stock look and its a great performing intake. FAST is still going strong, They are in the 9s and the fastest small block is a71 Duster that runs low 11s

Theres also a few Pure Stock cars in the 13s also.

...............Get a different mechanic...............the regular performer is already drilled for the TQ and has the correct base as in it is a spread bore intake.......its already on there, just use it...........kim......

Recommend the stock manifold. The Performer is designed for the small port heads. The Performer RPM is for the large port heads.

If you're not going to restore the original emission control system, recommend replacing the floor jets in the stock manifold with plugs. Also recommend removing the EGR valve, plug the vacuum line, and blocking the port off with a plate. These last two items will disable the EGR system.

stock 340 intake. I like the stock look and its a great performing intake. FAST is still going strong, They are in the 9s and the fastest small block is a71 Duster that runs low 11s

Theres also a few Pure Stock cars in the 13s also.

very cool, I had no idea. I think that low 13's high 12's would be a good future goal to shoot for :)

...............Get a different mechanic...............the regular performer is already drilled for the TQ and has the correct base as in it is a spread bore intake.......its already on there, just use it...........kim......

hmm i didnt see it either.i saw where it should go/be drilled but didnt notice that it was "predrilled" i guess..so it was 2 of us that missed that lol

Recommend the stock manifold. The Performer is designed for the small port heads. The Performer RPM is for the large port heads.

If you're not going to restore the original emission control system, recommend replacing the floor jets in the stock manifold with plugs. Also recommend removing the EGR valve, plug the vacuum line, and blocking the port off with a plate. These last two items will disable the EGR system.

yeah kinda suck. My father in law got this manifold JUST before the RPM came out wish the rpm had been out :)

no,i didnt plan to use the egr krap:)

Yeah. I always plug the floor jets with male square head pipe plugs. I use gobs of red locktite on them, screw them in tight, then cut the heads off with a wiz wheel as close to flush with the plenum floor as I can. I use an end mill on a drill press to machine them completely fulsh with the plenum floor, but I'm sure you could use a hand held grinder carefully and get about the same results. When you make that plenum floor flat, like the 71 intakes, then, they are almost as good as the regular non air gap Eddy Performer RPM.

whats your combo gonna be?

KB 107 pistons
J heads with a good valve job
Crower Cams 271 HDP
Stock 73 intake, Carb, exhaust manifolds

904 with a low 1st gear
Trans Go TF2
Turbo Action 11" converter

8-1/4 with 355s or 391s

And a hope and a dream LOL

The Performer 318/360 isn't the manifold a RPM or Air Gap is but it's no slouch either.

Seen some 360's with 275hl and 9.5:1 make 400+ with a Performer, actually up to 440. Will a stock 340 do the same, likely. Pick your poison and maybe open up the port window a bit, window size in this case is overrated as to effect, and the performer will work well.

Id have to get someone to do that(open it up) I dont have anything to do it with lol. Sucks not having a real garage and just a car port and no real tools(meaning like grinders and air compressor and stuff like that) other than household stuff..

-
Back