Edelbrock springs 1406 and 1405

-
Yes, fishin and grandbabies need to always take priority. Good for you!

Ok so went for an approx 10 mile drive. Surging is more pronounced/frequent and couple good backfires thru the exhaust.
18* initial
650 rpm and 14" vac(in park, idling)
475 rpm and 11" vac(in gear, idling)
Idle mix screws approx 1 1/4 turns out.
Orange 5" stock springs
Suggestions?
An O2 sensor or A/F meter isnt in the budget right now. I've got a little more than a week before Moparfest.
Thanks
Steve

Just pulled(and broke lol) plugs. Similar to before, plugs get worse front to back.
Close up pics are cyl 1,3,5,7

20230806_210548.jpg

20230806_210607.jpg

20230806_210619.jpg

20230806_210632.jpg

20230806_210644.jpg

Hate to be the bearer of bad news, but I doubt this combo will ever run properly. Too much carburetion & not enough cubes.

I would try this if it was mine:
- progressive linkage so that first 1/3 of throttle movement engine runs on the primaries of the rear carb; final 2/3 of throttle movement, all 8 barrels get to full opening at WOT.
- front carb: remove piston springs so that rods drop down. Find some wire [ a piece of stranded copper wire ] that is the size of the idle feed tube. Should be 0.031" to 0.036" range. Poke about 1/4" inside the IFR, bend the rest over & soft solder to the IFR tube [ to keep wire in place ]. Do both IFRs. [ Can be removed at any time ]. Screw mixture screws all the way in until seated. [ Idea is to ensure idling & low speed cruise is all done by rear carb ]. Close the pri t/blades until they are fully closed, but not binding in the bores.
- with front carb contributing less idle air, idle speed may be too low. So bypass air needed. Drill a small hole in the secondary [ not primary ] blades of the front carb. This is to distribute air more evenly.

Thanks, I'm wondering the same thing, that it may be better suited for more cubes/compression.
Hate to be the bearer of bad news, but I doubt this combo will ever run properly. Too much carburetion & not enough cubes.

I would try this if it was mine:
- progressive linkage so that first 1/3 of throttle movement engine runs on the primaries of the rear carb; final 2/3 of throttle movement, all 8 barrels get to full opening at WOT.
- front carb: remove piston springs so that rods drop down. Find some wire [ a piece of stranded copper wire ] that is the size of the idle feed tube. Should be 0.031" to 0.036" range. Poke about 1/4" inside the IFR, bend the rest over & soft solder to the IFR tube [ to keep wire in place ]. Do both IFRs. [ Can be removed at any time ]. Screw mixture screws all the way in until seated. [ Idea is to ensure idling & low speed cruise is all done by rear carb ]. Close the pri t/blades until they are fully closed, but not binding in the bores.
- with front carb contributing less idle air, idle speed may be too low. So bypass air needed. Drill a small hole in the secondary [ not primary ] blades of the front carb. This is to distribute air more evenly.

Heres compression test results. Initially I thought low, but they're well within fsm spec. Both carbs wired open, all plugs removed.

20230807_125829.jpg

Do you have access to a single carb manifold? If you're going to be doing some miles, it may be better to narrow it down to one carb (you can try each to see which one runs better).

Thanks, yes I'm gonna put single 4bl back on. I'll set the DQ aside for another build(hopefully)
Do you have access to a single carb manifold? If you're going to be doing some miles, it may be better to narrow it down to one carb (you can try each to see which one runs better).

-
Back