Edlebrock 9266 manifold gasket won't fit stock LA 340 intake

-

fulltank

Reaction score
I picked up a Edlebrock rubber 9266 intake gasket
to ensure I don't have heat issues between the AVS 2 carb and my stock 73 340 intake manifold.
The wider spaced gasket holes are made for the edlebrock performer intake but there is room to punch new holes to line up with the narrower factory manifold/carb mounting holes, is that okay to mount it?

The second issue is the actual intake area into the manifold doesn't line up well, part of the gasket covers the intake manifold opening
And the center devide between the opening looks like it might not fully seal between the two intake chambers.
How much of an issue will this make ?
Is the another gasket out there that fits better that can do yhe job?

Thoughts are always appreciated

I cant remember what gasket I bought but mine looked like the 9267 gasket with 2 sets of holes.

Pictures, so we might be able to see what you are describing.

20231204_083444.jpg

20231204_083607.jpg

I picked up a Edlebrock rubber 9266 intake gasket
to ensure I don't have heat issues between the AVS 2 carb and my stock 73 340 intake manifold.
The wider spaced gasket holes are made for the edlebrock performer intake but there is room to punch new holes to line up with the narrower factory manifold/carb mounting holes, is that okay to mount it?

The second issue is the actual intake area into the manifold doesn't line up well, part of the gasket covers the intake manifold opening
And the center devide between the opening looks like it might not fully seal between the two intake chambers.
How much of an issue will this make ?
Is the another gasket out there that fits better that can do yhe job?

Thoughts are always appreciated
You have a square bore carburetor on a NOT square bore manifold. You need an adaptor or a spread bore carb.

The 73 manifold is for a Thermoquad carburetor mot an AVS, either way something has to change. Either the intake or the carburetor.

This is why pictures are helpful.... Based on your first post, I thought you were having an issue with an intake manifold gasket and couldn't understand what issue you had. What's pictured is a carburetor base gasket and as already mentioned by others, you have a spread bore manifold and a square bore gasket. The AVS2 is a square bore carb so you will either need an adaptor to run that carb on this intake, or a different intake.

This is why pictures are helpful.... Based on your first post, I thought you were having an issue with an intake manifold gasket and couldn't understand what issue you had. What's pictured is a carburetor base gasket and as already mentioned by others, you have a spread bore manifold and a square bore gasket. The AVS2 is a square bore carb so you will either need an adaptor to run that carb on this intake, or a different intake.
I wanted to use the AVS 2 carb and the factory manifold so I have to figure out the correct adapter.
I did a lot of research in preparation but this didn't come up.
I appreciate all the input from the forum.

The 73 manifold is for a Thermoquad carburetor mot an AVS, either way something has to change. Either the intake or the carburetor.
I agree with this. Edlebrock used to give a thin metal plate and 2 gaskets for intakes like performer. To seal the TQ intake to square bore. And seen guys grind the center out the stick intake and use the thin Edlebrock plate where hood clearance was issue.
Or use the regular thick adapter like a normal guy.
When I bought my 1973 340 car it had stock intake, thick normal adapter and a 750 AFB under the stock air cleaner. So clearance was fine on Duster, Demon,Dart Sports with one.

The first 340 I put in my 65 Barracuda back in 1973 came out of a 72 Charger. The original owner had slapped a 780 Holley onto the stock Thermoquad intake manifold with an adapter. Thing ran well at low speeds, but stopped pulling at 4500 rpm. Switched to a then-new Torker intake and - bam! - it pulled to six grand.

I don't know if they make better adapters today, but the misalignment between the throttle bores of the square bore carb and the spread bore intake caused my adapter to be very restrictive.

Personally, I'd switch either to a standard flange intake, or to a spread bore carburetor.

So far I think the 2696 adapter is the solution for this issue, not sure if there are others out there. It adds a .86 height to the carb but I think it will still fit under the hood

-
Back