EFI Fuel System

-

Dantra

69 Dart.. AKA Butters
Reaction score
Looking at EFI fuel pump options.. Trying to avoid big money setups. Looking to see if others have went with the inline pump. I know I can draw out without a problem but I'm not sure about the return.. Or is there a returnless option for 42-48 psi? The EFI I'm looking at is a return or returnless and requires 42-48 PSI

I think I've decided that I want to go EFI with my '69 318 Dart. Just enough variables that I think it's what's best for my setup. Currently an Edelbrock and I'm just not a fan of it's quirks... Hard starts due to all the fuel evaporating out after a few days, gives the occasional sputter, erratic idle speeds plus it's an AC car so the idle changes depending on if the AC is on or if the clutch is kicking in or out. I know there's cures to all the mentioned things but it's just a driver and I really like efi.. Not everyone does but I'm a kind of a "you do you" person and not really a purist.

Thanks guys

Fuel pump, I'd run the old reliable Walbro 255, they make an inline version.

You can run a "returnless" corvette regulator, they're pretty popular. Most new cars don't run a return system, they have a filter/regulator in the pump module run the system dead headed and it "returns" while still inside the tank. Only downside is the pressure is set at 58 psi. What system are you looking at? I see you said it requires 42-48.

Your other options is a regular return style regulator, but mounted out back. That's probably not the route I'd go, your return line can be the old 5/16 supply line and you can buy/bend a new 3/8 supply and mount a return reg up front.

Last edited:
Looking at EFI fuel pump options.. Trying to avoid big money setups. Looking to see if others have went with the inline pump. I know I can draw out without a problem but I'm not sure about the return.. Or is there a returnless option for 42-48 psi? The EFI I'm looking at is a return or returnless and requires 42-48 PSI

I think I've decided that I want to go EFI with my '69 318 Dart. Just enough variables that I think it's what's best for my setup. Currently an Edelbrock and I'm just not a fan of it's quirks... Hard starts due to all the fuel evaporating out after a few days, gives the occasional sputter, erratic idle speeds plus it's an AC car so the idle changes depending on if the AC is on or if the clutch is kicking in or out. I know there's cures to all the mentioned things but it's just a driver and I really like efi.. Not everyone does but I'm a kind of a "you do you" person and not really a purist.

Thanks guys
I considered an Inline, using the stock pickup, but not sure what to do about a return. I'm running a FITECH electric pump in my Hemi swapped A100 Pickup, but I have a fuel cell in thst.. Using the corvette style filter. Works great. Looking at the Aces Killshot efi system. I had a look at the install instructions and it stated 42-48psi min. But doesn't state a max. I'll probably reach out to them and see what max is. They've got a good sale going.. 20% off. I can get the complete kit with distributor fand handheld for complete tuning for less than $850. Pretty clean setup that auto tunes as well.

The Corvette system linked to above gives you your answer for a return. ......and I would run one.

Thanks guys
i run an inline pump ,an added fuel line to the front , a return line back into the orig. style fuel pick up with the sock cut off keep it below the fuel level to avoid airation...fast 2.0 fuel inj.

i run an inline pump ,an added fuel line to the front , a return line back into the orig. style fuel pick up with the sock cut off keep it below the fuel level to avoid airation...fast 2.0 fuel inj.
I found this aftermarket sending unit that does have a return built into it. Did you just hose clamp your return onto the fitting or? I assume you run a regulator..

Thanks

Amazon product ASIN B08MVV8NX1

I found this aftermarket sending unit that does have a return built into it. Did you just hose clamp your return onto the fitting or? I assume you run a regulator..

Thanks

Amazon product ASIN B08MVV8NX1
have to run a reg with the pressure at 43-45 . use alum. racing fittings on some , and fuel inj. hose supplied by fast that is legal .< can be bought from jegs and summit too...

Does the stock tank on a 69 have a return?? I guess worst care, I could run something like an Edelbrock sump..
You definitely don't need a setup like the Edelbrock sump.

You've found a pickup with return port and the Corvette filter/regulator is designed to be mounted near the tank.

Run the walbro online pump mounted out back by the tank, the filter/regulator right after it. The you'll run the outlet of the regulator to the front of the car and the return from the regulator back to the tank. It should be a fairly short run, less than a foot or two.

Vendors sell modified versions of that filter/regulator with AN fittings on it, or you can run efi rubber line and clamps for the return, I'm not sure if that's nhra legal or not. The run up front should be hardline with short sections of efi rated line as jumpers. Like @famous bob mentioned, check summit or jegs for efi rated, braided jacketed nhra legal hose for those portions

You definitely don't need a setup like the Edelbrock sump.

You've found a pickup with return port and the Corvette filter/regulator is designed to be mounted near the tank.

Run the walbro online pump mounted out back by the tank, the filter/regulator right after it. The you'll run the outlet of the regulator to the front of the car and the return from the regulator back to the tank. It should be a fairly short run, less than a foot or two.

Vendors sell modified versions of that filter/regulator with AN fittings on it, or you can run efi rubber line and clamps for the return, I'm not sure if that's nhra legal or not. The run up front should be hardline with short sections of efi rated line as jumpers. Like @famous bob mentioned, check summit or jegs for efi rated, braided jacketed nhra legal hose for those portions
I'm familiar with the filter.. The preferred psi is well below the vette style. Just spoke with the mfr said it will work but operates better at a lower psi than the 58-60 that the filters offer. Looking like a regulator is in my future. On my other swap, I used 6AN braided rather than hard.. works well.

Just my two cents but I run return on both my Hemi (modern) and 440. Again just my thoughts but I have had absolute zero issues. When I did mine it was many years ago and the technology on EFI is constantly evolving and getting better. I just didn’t want any issues. The Hemi runs around 57psi. Perhaps as so many folks on here have pointed out the non return systems are better now then when I built mine?

I'm familiar with the filter.. The preferred psi is well below the vette style. Just spoke with the mfr said it will work but operates better at a lower psi than the 58-60 that the filters offer. Looking like a regulator is in my future. On my other swap, I used 6AN braided rather than hard.. works well.
'72 and up A-bodies used a return-type system with a 3-tube fuel filter to help eliminate vapor-lock issues. You could order a set of resto lines and option a 3/8" feed if available, used in conjuction w/a 3/8" pick-up assy., You're most of the way there. While the '72 and up cars used a charcoal canister, You don't need to worry about that unless You'd wish to add that, just make sure the vent-line in the trunk is clear & not kinked.
Also, there is a check/restriction in the front end of the return tube, You may want to eliminate that for an EFI return.

have to run a reg with the pressure at 43-45 . use alum. racing fittings on some , and fuel inj. hose supplied by fast that is legal .< can be bought from jegs and summit too...

See the 5/16 nipple? That's the return.
The nipple doesn't have a fitting.. not sure if just clamping a hose onto it si good measure or not. Whats your setup?

Just my two cents but I run return on both my Hemi (modern) and 440. Again just my thoughts but I have had absolute zero issues. When I did mine it was many years ago and the technology on EFI is constantly evolving and getting better. I just didn’t want any issues. The Hemi runs around 57psi. Perhaps as so many folks on here have pointed out the non return systems are better now then when I built mine?
I run the vette style return filter on my Hemi.. but it's a modern Hemi and meant to be returnless (from the manifold) and I love the simplicity of it. I'm just searching for a way to keep things clean under the hood and not look like a race car.. because it isn't. But I guess one little regulator isn't so bad

'72 and up A-bodies used a return-type system with a 3-tube fuel filter to help eliminate vapor-lock issues. You could order a set of resto lines and option a 3/8" feed if available, used in conjuction w/a 3/8" pick-up assy., You're most of the way there. While the '72 and up cars used a charcoal canister, You don't need to worry about that unless You'd wish to add that, just make sure the vent-line in the trunk is clear & not kinked.
Also, there is a check/restriction in the front end of the return tube, You may want to eliminate that for an EFI return.
Right on.. I also just discovered that FAST makes a rivnut style. O think that may be my answer... Then everything ahs fittings, rather than a hose clamped on at the tank.

Right on.. I also just discovered that FAST makes a rivnut style. O think that may be my answer... Then everything ahs fittings, rather than a hose clamped on at the tank.
Even tho' the feed line at the tank'd be under suction, and the return'd be very low pressure, only requiring quality hoses & clamps to fuction just fine...fittings are nice..

Even tho' the feed line at the tank'd be under suction, and the return'd be very low pressure, only requiring quality hoses & clamps to fuction just fine...fittings are
One thing I haven't really looked into is what kind of pressure is actually being returned. If it actually is low, I doubt there's much to worry about. MY fear is just dumping fuel behind me and not knowing it haha

The nipple doesn't have a fitting.. not sure if just clamping a hose onto it si good measure or not. Whats your setup?
It uses a quick connect fitting that's found on almost every single car or truck since the 1990s.

The best system is an in-tank pump (with a tank with baffles, these are sold now - I have an Aeromotive Phantom system that basically does the same thing), feed/return wth the regulator after the rails. Mine is 3/8" feed and return, you could probably get away with a 5/16" return if you needed to but just don't use a huge pump then.

The pump being in the tank keeps the pump cool (it will last longer), full return system eliminates vapor lock and provides precise control of the fuel pressure after the injectors, so there's no fluxuations at the injectors during transients. You can also run an inline fuel filter and you won't get no-starts unless its totally clogged.

The "corvette" system is just an orifice/controlled leak. They also used these on Saturns. Aftermarket parts may be not as good quality and as mentioned the pressure is higher, but can also be influenced by the pump (a big pump may mean higher pressure than intended). They did this to be cheap and for no other reason.

I have seen a lot of people quit on EFI and when you look at the trace it is either not picking up fuel due to sloshing with the stock pickup or they get strange pressure drops due to the returnless system or poor pump mounting.

One thing I haven't really looked into is what kind of pressure is actually being returned. If it actually is low, I doubt there's much to worry about. MY fear is just dumping fuel behind me and not knowing it haha

no pressure on the return , dumps freely back into the tank below fuel level on mine ...reg. has 2 out and one return...

I considered an Inline, using the stock pickup, but not sure what to do about a return. I'm running a FITECH electric pump in my Hemi swapped A100 Pickup, but I have a fuel cell in thst.. Using the corvette style filter. Works great. Looking at the Aces Killshot efi system. I had a look at the install instructions and it stated 42-48psi min. But doesn't state a max. I'll probably reach out to them and see what max is. They've got a good sale going.. 20% off. I can get the complete kit with distributor fand handheld for complete tuning for less than $850. Pretty clean setup that auto tunes as well.
Any info on the aces setup?? Any positive reviews from actual experience??

-
Back