EFI Magnum engine/trans in old A-body (65 Barracuda).

-

dust

B5PistolGrip.com
Reaction score
‘been thinking of replacing my daily driver Camaro with a an old Mopar with a 1990’s 318 to benefit from the EFI and other Magnum design features.

Question is, what are the high-cost/problem areas?

My plan would be to buy a complete engine/trans off a Magnum truck from the junk yard and drop them into a ’65 Barracuda or similar model.

My four main worries are: headers, transmission clearance, driveshaft, and ‘correct’ pressure fuel pump from tank. What other areas could give me problems?

I hope you get some feedback on this. A friend has a '66 Dart and is wanting to do the same thing. He is looking for late model drivability and hopefully better fuel economy than a carb provides.
Dallas

I wonder how different the Hemi transmission is compared to the Magnum transmissions in size...

Don't know where you are, but I posted a wrecked 01 truck with a 5.2 and auto in the for sale section for my body guy

check out this thread.
5.9 Magnum into a 73Duster , by Old Geezzer.
I think the new Hemi may be too wide for the early A body, It barely fits in the late A's.
"Maybe", if you go rack steering it'l fit.
For the 5.2 or 5.9, I would look at the Spitfire headers. The magnum heads have the same bolt pattern and ports are similar.
Floor and torsion bar xmember mods for an OD trans will be significant but doable.
Shortened driveshaft for sure if OD used.
Many fuel pumps, and fuel regulators to choose from.

Are you talking about the 318 (5.2) and 360(5.9) versions, or the new 4.7 or 5.7 Hemi?

The earlier stuff would be pretty easy.
--Block, to my understanding, is basic LA architecture.
--Trans crossmember might need some massaging, but the housing itself should be no bigger then a 727 for the most part.
--Headers from your A body V8 small block will fit the Magnum versions of the 318 or 360 with no issues.
--Driveshaft, would probably have to be cut down. I think the OD portion on the trans adds some length. I would get the driveshaft with the engine and trans, and have it cut down at the differential end, and have a new rear yoke installed that matches your current differential housing.
--Fuel pressure....You have a few options. It would not be too bad to run a high pressure pump in tank. They mount vertically, and adapting to a an existing or new sender would not be too difficult, OR there are exterior pumps that can be mounted in line, and supply the needed fuel pressure. The drawback to this.... Noise and FI pumps do not like to "draw" fuel, they want it to be fed to them, so the in tank (submerged) is best.

Can a 1990's Magnum trans be used with a LA engine? If so, I bet someone has put one in, and I'd like to see that.

How much did it cost total to get the driveshaft shortened, 5.7Dart?

I copied this from the thread I refered you to.
you will have to look there for photos.
I used it on my LA 360 for a year.

"This is info that I came up with, so it might not be 100% right. The A518 was used on both 5.2/318 and 5.9/360. The forward clutch pack in the 318 version has 1 less clutch disk than the 360 version, but you can use alot of standard 727 parts so its pretty easy to get the pieces to upgrade. I was told either one would be just fine for a stock 5.9.
From the start up thru 1992 they were non lockup converters and used a 2pin connector (on left side by shift arm) to control the OD. so the 2 pin only needs one switch you have access to for on off.
93 thru maybe 1997? they used lockup converters and a 3 pin connector. These you need to to control both the OD and lockup. Here is a link to some very good info. http://www.transmissioncenter.net/SwapInformation.htm
On the right side of the trans you can see the pressure switches that came with their kit. The vacuum switch is on the cowl behind the carb. I just tee'd into the distributer vacuum line.
Somewhere after 97 the are electricly shifted so you need a late computer or stand alone controler.
Aftermarket lockup converters are more expensive too, right now a TCI Sat Night Special from Summit is 243.00 and the Lockup one is 420.00, and there is more off the shelf selections for non lock 727s.
I think you would be happy with either one.
Lockup will be more expensive overall but has the better gas mileage when crusing.
One caveat about a nonlockup is if you run a high stall -say 3000- or so, in OD you might be crusing around 2500RPM and slipping the convertor most of the time. Obviously a lower stall convertor or lower gears are needed for that not to happen.
After I said all that here is a string of photos of my floor pan mods just to scare you.
Unfortunatly you have to do something like this, the a518 is way fatter in the OD section.
I made sure to keep it compact so I could keep my bench seats."

no one has mentioned yet the wiring/electrical side of an EFI swap into an older car. you will need the complete engine/trans electrical wiring and the ECM for it work. there are many many sensors that need to be just right for everything to work together. not trying to scare you but when looking at a bird's nest of wiring it can be intimidating. then you have to think how you are going to run everything, cause it probably wont fit right in the car. there's like a million wires that come out of the computers in the newer cars...its scary enough for me that I would lean more towards a carb'ed motor with a mileage cam and highway gears. just my $.02
-tim

Thats the swap I'm doing right now. In the engine issues check my thread: 5.9 Magnum into 73 duster. For now it will be stock just to get the bugs worked out. Then back out for the rebuild. The engine/ECU out of a 99 Durango.

OG

-
Back