EGR, is it necessary?

-

CaleFox

Cale Fox
Reaction score
Hey I am putting a 5.2 magnum engine in my dart and of the many issues and questions that have come up i'll ask this one. is the EGR system really necessary? What would the effects be if i had it disabled? I really don't want to cut up my new hookers lol

The EGR system cools the fuel/air charge...mainly to stop production of the pollutant NOx

I have seen an engine ping after removal

EGR=Exhaust Gas Recirculator. It does exactly what the name implies. Under low vacuum eg. going down the highway, the little christer opens and allows raw exhaust gases (from the crossover) into the intake to supposedly reduce emissions. The problem is the little SOB get loaded with carbon and sticks open which can cause the engine to idle really ruff. I've blanked several without a problem. Now for the curve ball. Some newer engine manufactorers are using the EGR to also heat the intake which is something you'll need in the winter. :cussing:

Assuming you are switching it up to a carb manifold etc, then no it is not needed. Mopars did't get egr till the 70's.

The alum manifold will probalby be threaded so pipe plugs can be put in where the valve would go.

If you are planning on doing something exotic, like switching in the EFI too, you are better off to leave it in. The computer won't run any better without it, unless you have the mean of somekind of radical reflash.

i agree with dave. its crap that you dont want if it is on a carbureted induction setup, but if you are using the stock setup EFI or an aftermarket EFI, you may want to utilize it(if the aftermarket setup doesnt recommend it, then thats different). the cpu relies on information from the egr if it is of the new variety and removing it wont improve performance very much, if any.

-
Back