Electric choke issues, big surprise

-

Vamisk

Reaction score
Not a Mopar but a lot of good info on this site, I have a Holley Street Demon carb on my 78 F150. This carburetor is absolutely perfect until now. Now the choke sticks closed and fast idle cam sticks on. The kicker is that jiggling the battery negative seems to fix it, for a while but this morning it's all over the place, every time put the clutch in it would swap from fast to normal idle.

the cam and plate both have free movement. I know electric chokes suck but this carb is like a year old.

Sounds like the housing isn't seated properly. Try unscrewing the 3 screws and see if it'll seat. Make sure to realign the tab if it worked where it was set.

You mean the choke housing on the carb? That would make sense since what started this whole mess is when I had parked it in gear and forgot put in neutral and stalled it, I lurched the truck bad enough for the battery negative cable to come completely off.

Sounds like the choke is not getting power or ground

I cracked it open and there’s an actual crack in the plastic that may be causing issues but also the gasket had rotated so far that the arm could no longer come off of choke believe it or not. So far it’s working fine.

thanks guys!

Electric Chokes are just fine!

How you wire them, determines how well they work. Holley/Carter/Eddy make no difference! I suspect wiring that does not make sense!

I always use a Good voltage point on the Positive side that is circuit/fused protected.

Make to Make is up to discussion! For Mopar's a feed from the positive wiper power is a good choice! I do not like feeds from the ignition source!!!!

-
Back