Electric fuel pump question

-

RAMCTD2003

340dart
Reaction score
I am going to be installing a 360 magnum block/LA heads, but using a magnum cam.
My question is what are you guys running for an electric fuel pump since I don't have a fuel pump eccentric? Do you run a return fuel line? I am installing this in my 74 dart sport.
There is a stock line that runs from the charcoal canister to the tank. Can I use it as a return line? I would like a fuel pump that is on the quieter side if possible.

You don't need a return line... Well, on some you do, but not all of em. Just look at the instructions. 6-9 psi should do it. Don't forget to add the ford switch.. (Inertia switch)

Mount the pump back by the tank, they push better than pull. You can put your inertia switch in the trunk.

Return is best to keep pump life up and fuel cool and vapor lock down.

I much prefer a return line. Have you drilled the block deck for the head oiling passages?

You don't need a return line... Well, on some you do, but not all of em. Just look at the instructions. 6-9 psi should do it. Don't forget to add the ford switch.. (Inertia switch)

Mount the pump back by the tank, they push better than pull. You can put your inertia switch in the trunk.
Any brand that you recommend? I want something that is semi quite not like the holley pumps. Good call on the inertia switch!

You'll want your return line as big as your feed line if you run a bypass setup. I also use an inertia switch to kill the fuel pump as others have mentioned. Got one for a '98 Ford Ranger. You can pick one up at the junkyard for next to nothing. I also use it as a hidden kill switch so it's not going to be as easy for someone to drive off with it. For quiet pumps, I've been hearing a lot of good stuff about Walbro pumps and they're not that expensive. Even though I run one, stay away from Aeromotive pumps. You aren't going to like the noise.

You'll want your return line as big as your feed line if you run a bypass setup. I also use an inertia switch to kill the fuel pump as others have mentioned. Got one for a '98 Ford Ranger. You can pick one up at the junkyard for next to nothing. I also use it as a hidden kill switch so it's not going to be as easy for someone to drive off with it. For quiet pumps, I've been hearing a lot of good stuff about Walbro pumps and they're not that expensive. Even though I run one, stay away from Aeromotive pumps. You aren't going to like the noise.

Thanks for the info. I'll look into the Walbro pumps.

walbro pumps are boss near silent and awesome .
What are you using for fuel lines from the stock tank to the pump and also for a return line back to the stock tank? I would think you would want the same size return line as your feed line. It would be great if there was a sending unit that had AN fittings.

What are you using for fuel lines from the stock tank to the pump and also for a return line back to the stock tank? I would think you would want the same size return line as your feed line. It would be great if there was a sending unit that had AN fittings.

well im using 1/2'' feed and return and a bypass regulator and the 392 pump. just solder a an fitting for return in the indent in the top front of the tank easy to do to any new or used tank but some people dont agree with how i do it to used tanks.well most think you cant weld used tanks.

well im using 1/2'' feed and return and a bypass regulator and the 392 pump. just solder a an fitting for return in the indent in the top front of the tank easy to do to any new or used tank but some people dont agree with how i do it to used tanks.well most think you cant weld used tanks.
Thanks for getting back to me. I'll look into it when I get my new tank.

Rock Auto had (has?) a new sender/pick-up assembly for my '65 that has a 3/8" supply and a 5/16" return. I would imagine that you can get one elsewhere with a little searching. I used the OE supply tube for the return and ran a new 3/8" supply. Also using a Walbro pump, the ~15 psi version since TBI is in this car's short term future. The pump is not dead quiet, but I can only hear it when the engine is off, and the exhaust system is pretty quiet too! Pump is suspended by rubber as a way of mounting it.

-
Back