Electric Fuel Pump

-

oregonhd

big daddy John
Reaction score
I have a 72 Dart with a 440 in it, I am install the electric fuel pump and inline filter, for all of you that have done this before where is the optimal place to put the pump and filter under the car, any ideas? thanks

my charger is set up in this order. fuel cell~inline filter~pump on frame rail~fuel line to front of car~regulator~fuel pressure guage~carb.

Most sources say you must put it close to the tank and lower than the tank, but I bet they haven't experimented. My electric pump works fine in the engine compartment in 2 Mopars (A body & C body), low on the inner fender. One has the factory 5/16" supply line and the other a custom 3/8" supply. Both have a bypass regulator with return to the tank for EFI. One is running 22 psi at a Holley TBI and the other 9 psi for a carb (EFI later). One pump is a Walbro (225 lph I recall) and the other a Holley gear-rotor (have used a Ford external pump too). If you have a return line and reg in-line with the carb, you can use an EFI type pump with a carb.

If you put it on the rear frame rail like most people do, it will probably make a racket around the rear seat. I did that first and tried rubber isolators, etc. I hated that location too because it is very hard to access if problems on the road, plus a grubby location. I also had a pusher pump back there once, which caused more problems than not (starved the main pump, etc). I saw how gas poured from the supply line in the engine compartment, so figured that wouldn't starve the pump, and it doesn't. I have a simple carb type pre-filter on the inlet and a fuel injection type filter on the outlet of each. Search my posts for photos and more.

-
Back