Electric Fuel pump

-

zakimodo

Reaction score
I am getting ready to install an electric fuel pump on my 74 duster. The instuctions for the pump strongly recomend a oil pressure shutoff switch. I guess this is so if the car stops running while the igniton is on the fuel pump will shut off. Is it worth it and what do you do about your stock oil pressure unit.

I do not have a oil pressure switch on my electric pump setup. Didn't feel it quite necessary, i have a gauge and an idiot light for oil pressure. I like to hope i can turn the key faster than my carb will run out of fuel in the bowls before it dies. But, to each their own!

Whichever route you go, you should really wire it into a relay. With the proper gauge wiring.

And as far as the stock sender, heading to your local lowes/home depot brass fitting section, you'll be able to find various bends and tee fittings to make something work
-Mike

The way I read it is the fuel pump shut off is not for the sake of the engine but for your safety if you get into an accident. If you get into an accident and the fuel line is damaged and your incapacitated you would have a major problem. You'd probably get instant creamation. Summit and Jegs sell switches just for this purpose.

Just to clarify you can also run a extra pressure shut off switch for loss of oil pressure. More than likely if your engine looses oil pressure even if the fuel pump shuts off there will be enough fuel in the bowls to run it long enough to completely destroy the engine. The best way to have a low oil pressure shut off wired is to get one of Moroso's oil pressure switches that activate about 18 lbs. and wire that to a relay that controls the ignition and fuel so if oil pressure does drop the ignition shuts off right away.

-
Back