Electric fuel pump

-

340 Dart

I don't know ****.
Reaction score
I am getting ready to take my 74 Duster to the track later this month with a new 340 in her and I need to pick an electric fuel pump setup. I have never had one and have never installed one, so I just need something simple and dependable. I expect the car to run high to mid 12's if I can get it to hook up.

Any suggestions?

just my 2 cents here. if you drive this car on the street often, it might be a better idea to go with a good hp holley mechanical pump. i think they are more reliable for the street with (no noise). i have an elec. holley blue in my street car and can`t wait to get it out because of the noise.
you never mentioned what application you have for your current fuel system, like fuel cell, fuel tank w/sump along w/a vent and size of your fuel line. i have a holley (black) in my 451 race car which is by no means a world beater. it works fine in there for me.
if you decide on one of these pumps, it is probably a good idea to mount it below the fuel supply so to feed it by gravity w / a good filter in front of it. good luck

go with a good mechanical pump. if not the new style 125 holley electric pump.

go with a good mechanical pump. if not the new style 125 holley electric pump.
That Holley HP125 is a geat pump if cost is not a factor.Replaced a Holley Red on mine last year with it and cant hear this one w/motor running.

Thanks for the info!

It is the stock tank and 3/8 line. It is going to see some street time but not alot and I don't mind the noise.

Do I need a fuel pressure regulator?
Where did you mount yours?

I have always used a mechanical pump and thought I would experiment a little with the electrics. Alot of people seem to run them with no problems.

Don't worry about the noise, the car should be noisy. I can barely hear my holley blue pump over the beautiful flowmaster symphony.

You will need a regulator depending on what pump you use. If you use a Holley red pump then no, they are pre-set to 7 psi. The Holley blue pump and black pump are pre- set to 14 psi, the blue has 110gph and the black has 140gph (I think). You will want to regulate this down to 6-7psi. I have a used black pump for $50 it has about 3,000 miles on it, I replaced my blue pump which stopped working one day. Took it about and found nothing wrong, put it back together and it worked fine on another friends car.

The best way to wire the pump would be by a relay switch. That way you know its getting direct batt power. You'll want to run as much hard line as possible cause our track (infineon) says no more than 12" of rubber line in the fuel system.

-
Back