electric fuel pumps

-

MoParMetal

MoPar
Reaction score
im looking to get a fuel pump that would easily handle the 318 currently in the duster and the 383 thats going in it. i'm limiting the 383 to make no more than 575hp so my wife can get used to it.

i was looking at holley red electric fuel pump, maybe the blue one would be better? any other pumps i should look at?

I run a holley blue pump on my 318. It seems to be working just great, many people use them. The downside is the dang things are plain noisy. I have mine insulated on rubber mounts, entire steel fuel line is isolated from the body to help keep vibration down, still loud.

Noisy is an understatement, If it's going to be a street car go with a high volume mechanical or pay big bucks for a quiet electrical.

I've got a holley black pump,ya' its loud but i like it that way especially when i'm at the track,so i can hear it to make sure its on...

My holley blue just shot craps the other day. I didn't even get one year out of it. I threw another one on because I was in a hurry(daily driver). They work great but was not impressed with how long the first one lasted.

so the red should be able to handle a 575hp 383?

I don't think it will. I called Holley when I was going to buy one for mine and if I remember right they said the red one was only good to 375hp. The blue one is only good to 550 hp according to them.

Like the other guys said they are LOUD and Obnoxious. I hate mine. I have it isolated just like Goody said he did his and it still sounds like a freakin chainsaw. I'm planning on switching to a high volume Carter mechanical as soon as I get the cash.

hmmm...i guess ill let the wife decide on this one. she hasn't made up her mind on turning it into a road racer or a drag car.
stock replacement here i come!

Have to agree on the stinking noise..........I've tried EVERYTHING.......it hasn't mattered how isolated you get the thing, it STILL reverberates through the whole stinking car and drives me NUTS...........

My problem on the 67 Cuda was the Cam lobe for the pump, I believe, was just too worn to give me adequate pressure...........I tried 3 different pumps, and it would break down with all of them..........

After the red pump, it was great..........BUT, I can't take the noise anymore........... Pretty soon it's a rebuild and a new cam, then a nice mechanical pump.

:rock:

i bought a holley red went out 5 months later in the middle of no were!!!
wouldn't tell someone to buy one... i would go with a mallory or aeromotive or even edlebrocks new one!

Back in the 70s I ran both. Left the electric off for normal cruising, flipped the switch when I needed the fuel.

-
Back