Electric vs mech water pump

-

Boxer

Reaction score
I am contemplating which water pump to use? I am thinking of going to a electric setup, but have never had one. I will have a trunk mount bat, aluminum rad. and 442ci small block. Mostly street car, but some weekend track trips. Just wondering what anyone has to say. I will also need to get electric fans, will I need a bigger alternator as well.

If you go to an electric unit, IMO you should go with the Meziere unit, however its biggest benefit is to help cool btwn rnds at the track, so if this will be limited track usage then go mechanical. Very few people will be able to fix your electric pump on the road if you break down. You can also look into the single wire street rod alt that jegs offers 60 amps of power. If you are interested I have a high flow water pump, fan clutch, and a chrome one wire 60 amp alternator as spares for my setup. Would consider selling if you are interested.

is there any benefit as far as et's going from mechanical to electric?:happy6:

There is an ET benefit if AND ONLY IF you shut off your alternator during the pass. Otherwise you are just transferring the water pumping load to the alternator. If you are even thinking about running on the street, IMHO you could better spend your money elsewhere. Also, since you have moved the battery as far as possible from the alternator, increasing electrical loads seems kinda silly. Big fat battery cables can help prevent some voltage drop, but they are heavy.

You answered your own question in this one and didn't even know it. Mostly street car means you will be running a mechanical pump. You go electric only if it is a strip car or something that sees little street use.

-
Back