Electric water pump BBL

-

kevnsue

Reaction score
Here is my problem. I have a 451 stroker and I have an Aluminum Radiator with a 17in Spahl fan. The car still over heats when idled around in the heat.
I do have also under drive pullies. If I was to install an Electric Water pump do you guys number one, Think it will keep the car cool? and two do you maintain the thermistat? any help would be great. I was thinking of going with the miezer electric water pump in Jegs.
Thanks again.

68 Cuda pics 006.jpg

68 Cuda pics 003.jpg

Two things come to mind. Is that a high flow water pump, if it is make sure you've got a high flow thermostat and you'll definitely need a fan shroud for sure. Electric water pump ain't going to help if you're not pulling air through the rad. Also what kind of fan are you running eg. one of those plastic POS or a good 7 blader.

Terry

I am sorry in the picture it still shows me running a stock style fan. I have since pulled the fan off and installed a 17in Spahl electric pusher fan in front of the radiator. There is no room to run a stock style fan now. I had to move the radiator forward about 1 inch to get the electric fan in. I believe the water pump is a stock one, nothing special.

68 Cuda pics 007.jpg

looove the cuda, on different note<sorry> where your turn signal lamps? im re configuring mine as they daft aftermarket ones either side of licence plate.

Remember&#8230;. If you are moving the coolant too fast it doesn't have enough time in the radiator to cool down.

An electric water pump is never a good idea in a street car and in my opinion would do nothing to solve your problem.

You need air moving through that radiator.

Get a real fan and proper fan shrouding. (this is the real issue)

In your pic you can see that huge gap between your radiator and the radiator support&#8230;. Close that off. You are pulling hot under-hood air back through your radiator. All the air passing through the radiator should be outside air, not under hood air. Go have a look at a modern car&#8230;. The radiator will have adhesive foam or other things around it to prevent hot engine air from circulating through it.

This is the reason the factory radiator was much closer to the radiator support.

On the under side of your hood, near the front you should have a piece of rubber that runs from side to side&#8230; This piece of rubber lays across the radiator support when the hood is closed&#8230; Again&#8230; This is part of your cooling system and prevents hot under hood air from getting to the front of your radiator.

In summary&#8230;. You can't stay cool at idle because you are pulling too much hot under hood air through your radiator. You can't cool something to 180 degrees with 220+ degree air.

On a side note&#8230;&#8230;

Big Block&#8230;&#8230;&#8230;.

NOS&#8230;&#8230;&#8230;&#8230;&#8230;.

Drum Brakes&#8230;&#8230;. (or at least that is a drum brake master cylinder)

Actually a properly sized electric fan will do more than an engine driven fan, especially at idle. Many new cars only have electric fans. That's not the problem. Sealing the radiator to the core support is good advise but if he's installed a pusher fan on the engine side of the radiator he's just pushing hot under hood air through the radiator.

A pusher fan should be mounted in front of the radiator. Puller fans actually work better, mounted on the engine side of course as they don't block the front of the radiator.

As far as circulating the water too fast, again that's not going to happen at idle and isn't a concern here.

What I'm wondering is what size the radiator is, how many cores, and do you have a thermostat in it and if you do what temp it is? Do you run antifreeze, water, or additives in the coolant?

Actually a properly sized electric fan will do more than an engine driven fan, especially at idle. Many new cars only have electric fans. That's not the problem. Sealing the radiator to the core support is good advise but if he's installed a pusher fan on the engine side of the radiator he's just pushing hot under hood air through the radiator.

A pusher fan should be mounted in front of the radiator. Puller fans actually work better, mounted on the engine side of course as they don't block the front of the radiator.

As far as circulating the water too fast, again that's not going to happen at idle and isn't a concern here.

What I'm wondering is what size the radiator is, how many cores, and do you have a thermostat in it and if you do what temp it is? Do you run antifreeze, water, or additives in the coolant?

I went back to re-read his posts and now Im confused….

Pics on the new set up (front side and back side) would help here.

-
Back