Electric water pumps

-

Ozcuda

gotta love a MOPAR
Reaction score
Hi Guy's,

Thinking of fitting an electric water pump. Just wondering how do you know how much water flow is needed ???

What does a standard belt drive water pump flow ???

What brand electric water pumps are being used ???

Thanks Gra

CSR on my smallblock 408...

bhhuuo.jpg

I have a proform on my small block race car.

Street:50-55gph
Strip:30-35gph

I saw that some Companies had two output models, so asked why and the lower gph models were for the strip and higher for the street. Street cars have more heat issues with stop/go traffic so they need more gph.

Thanks guy's the car is now mainly used for the strip very limited road use. I'm off to the web to find me a pump.

Thanks Gra

On another site, a guy claims to have tested cooling systems and says the flow thru radiator, pump housing, etc, will not exceed 40 gph. Also claims any more than that will cause a "bucking" in the system. What do you guys think about that?

On another site, a guy claims to have tested cooling systems and says the flow thru radiator, pump housing, etc, will not exceed 40 gph. Also claims any more than that will cause a "bucking" in the system. What do you guys think about that?

Hi Dodgeguy,

Would be interesting to see his testing results do you have a link ?

I wonder how much testing the pump manufacturers did to come up with the 35 GPH & 55 GPH pump flow rates.

Cheers Oz

Hi Dodgeguy,

Would be interesting to see his testing results do you have a link ?

I wonder how much testing the pump manufacturers did to come up with the 35 GPH & 55 GPH pump flow rates.

Cheers Oz

It was over at Moparts in the question and answer section I think. I don't know how to do the link thing. Maybe I'll figure it out, let me try.

I tried to get one from Jeg's and they were on back order for every so I got mine from Mancini Racing. I asked them about the 35gph and the 55gph. Thats when they told me about the flow rate for the strip and street. Something about it(55gph) would move the water to fast to cool it for track use. I am sure it is a little more complicated than that but you get the idea.

There is also a statement that the water can't go thru to fast to cool. So, you read conflicting statements, what is a guy to do?

http://board.moparts.org/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=6438213&an=0&page=6#Post6438213

here you go Ozcuda. You have to go down about halfway to find the statement, but read the whole thing and let me know what you think.

Reason I was interested, I was looking to get the Jegs pump that is 55 gph. But from this guy it would do no good and then I thought about teh 35 to 37 pump. Others say get the 55 pump, so I am at a loss as to what to do.

Very interesting read thanks.....I'm off to talk to my engine guy he might be able to shed some light on this question. I'll let you know his thoughts.

I drag race mine and I use the Moroso elecric motor kit. It worked alright but kept burning up electric motors so I switched to a Meziere water pump. It seems to cool down faster and it doesn't drain the battery as fast. Hope this helps.

I'm using a CSR on my 440. Took a little trial and error to find the right restrictor plate in the t/stat to facilitate proper cooling. Smaller seemed to slow down the flow and gave me better cooling.
My engine is a heavy cammed, 12.5 to 1 motor, street driven, so far so good!

Attachments

• January 11 car 008.jpg
    126.1 KB · Views: 421
My wagon has limited space as it most of the bolt on type pumps won't allow me enough space to put on a set of electric fans. I have been looking at the Davis Craig pump as you can mount it anywhere. Has anybody used this pump ???

-
Back