electrical problem

-

jacksdodges

jacksdodges
Reaction score
Went to a cruise last night and on the way home my lights went dim and my volt meter went from 14 volts to 10.5 volts. drove about 10 miles and it all went back to normal. Another 5 miles and it did it again. My battery is in the trunk if that makes any differance. Just looking for some ideas before I go look at it. Iam not lazy but i had surgery 3 weeks ago and not getting around the best. This is on my 66 Dart GT. I just need a starting point i guess. I havnt checked anything yet, It was late when we got home. Went to church this morning and TV today. I have MSD ing. Iam retired so tommorrow ill check it out. Thank

First thing I'd do is check the brushes in the alternator Second thing is to start digging into the bulkhead connector

if it has the old style regulator {voltage} maybe i would look there and upgrade it to the newer solid state regulator and 67dart has good advice to. hope this helps

i would check all connections on altenator, battery, voltage reg and starter sol. since it sounds like a loose connector/plug to me or maybe your altenator getting ready to take a crap on you.

I dont have a bulkhead anymore, Rewired it several years ago.smothed out my firewall and ran all the wires outside the engine compartment. and I have the new style voltage reg. Iam hoping it a loose connection. I didnt hear any noise like a bushing was going out. thanks guys Ill get on it tommorrow.

-
Back