electronic choke

-

Punkmastadart

Reaction score
I just had a quick question, is the electronic choke on an edelbrock 600 wired directly from the battery or should it go through a choke solenoid first??

Good question. Early electric chokes got power at switch on but if the engine wasn't running or even hard to start the choke would open early and drain battery too. Laterthose thinkers wired the choke through a oil presure sender or somewhere to apply current with engine running only.
For you I want to suggest a relay for choke power supply. To signal that relay with your oil pressure sender may not work since the sender only sees 5 to 6 volts. May work or may just screw with the gauge reading.
I should have a good answer for your good question but dont.

I hooked mine to 12v when the key is on (@ fusebox) and it seems to work fine for me

I got this choke solenoid so ill just run it through that :) Thanks a ton for all the help!!

I did a test on my other one and it cuts off power after five minutes of key on power. Now that i think of it im not sure if the choke on the 600 does the same??

Im just a little terrified of burning up the new carb or something. Im just a big worry wort when it comes to my cars :) I have even been accused of taking better care of my cars than myself 8)

the choke solenoid was wired to a choke preheater, the main choke control was the heat of the intake manifold. with your true electric choke wired that way after 5 mintues the choke wont have power and will close. the electric choke needs 12 volts whenever car is running.

the choke solenoid was wired to a choke preheater, the main choke control was the heat of the intake manifold. with your true electric choke wired that way after 5 mintues the choke wont have power and will close. the electric choke needs 12 volts whenever car is running.

I agree the choke needs power while the motor is running.

Ill hook it up directly without the solenoid then ;) I appreciate the help!!8)

-
Back