electronic ignition help????

-

SD65WAGON

Justin
Reaction score
Currently running a stock 273 with new holley 2 barrel in a 1965 valiant v 200 wagon and am wondering????
Does Anyone Out There Currently Have A Pertronix System Installed On There 273 ? How Easy Was The Install And How Is The Perfomance ? Does Anyone Feel There Is A Better System Out There Like The Mopar Orange Box Etc?????

I just bought the orange box and distributor kit for my 273 but havent did the install yet. I expect the car to start and run much better with the new igntion system.
I did change over a performance 360 from points a couple years ago and noticed big improvements. I suspect must 40 year old distributers don't have properly working vaccum and/or mechanical advances. Plus the electronic system just does a better job controlling spark

The Pertronix system is fantastic. Back in the late 80's to early 90's I worked on forklifts and most still used points until 91 or 92. We converted hundreds of points systems over using the Pertronix system and the only one I ever remember going bad was because the knucklhead that installed it bound the wires up so when the vacuum advance turned the breaker plate it kinked the wires and eventually one wire broke inside. The Mopar orange box isn't much of a performance item. Most start dropping dwell and timing starts retarding by 5,000 rpm. If your engine is stock it's ok but for a performance application a chrome box is much better. I prefer a Pertronix Ignitor over a orange box but that's JMHO.

Oh yeah you can install a Pertronix in about a half hour or less. The Mopar conversion will take you 2-4 hrs. depending on your mechanical/electrical ablity.

Oh yeah make sure your dist. is in good condition before installing a Pertronix if that's what you decide to do. If the dist. shaft bushings are worn out it probably won't run right.

I had the slant six version. It really is as easy to install as new points and works well as a stock-replacement type ignition.

If you want an upgrade, it depends on how high you plan to rev the motor since just about anything can spark well at 4,000 RPM. Pertronix is a step up over points - now here's what I regard as a step above Pertronix. Whether your buildup actually NEEDS one may be debateable.

First step would be either an orange box or a GM HEI conversion, paired with an appropriate coil.

Next step would be one of the "6 series" boxes - MSD, of course, is what most people think of, but Crane or Mallory / Summit are also viable options. These usually seem to make most of their power past 7,000 RPM unless you're running nitrous oxide or a supercharger.

Many of the same companies conveniently call their next step up a 7 series. Probably overkill for any naturally aspirated street motor.

There are levels beyond that, but only if you've got a lot of money to burn.

I am running the Pertronix in both a 66 Valiant wagon with a slant six and a 66 Barracuda with dual point on a 273. They both run and start better and were easy to install.

-
Back