Electronic Ignition Trouble Shooting Help

-
Very nice info. I just replaced the reluctor coil and plate assy for the 1st time today and there's no way I could have done so with the distributor in the car. Luckily, it's real easy to remove the distributor on a small block. After I disassembled everything, I could see how it might be possible to replace the reluctor coil assy with the distributor installed, but if I do it again, I would still take the distributor out.

Another thing I noticed on mine was that the mechanical advance was not moving very smoothly because of dried up lubricant binding its' travel. I carefully cleaned the pin guides with alchohol and a qtip while the distributor was on its' side, and lubed with white grease. Moves freely now and at almost full travel. I'll check tomorrow to see if there's any performance gain as a result.

Replacing the carb and cleaning the distributor mechanical advance have been the 2 biggest performance improvements I've done to this car. The performance difference is astounding for a 100% stock Scamp.

-
Back