Electronic speedo?

-

FISHBREATH

Reaction score
No, not some fat guy at the beach wearing a Japanese slingshot. I am planning on getting new gauges and I wondered whether any of you have used an electronic speedo. How does it hook up? Easy? Difficult?

Real easy hook up, connect the electronic speed sensor in place of the speedo cable to the transmission, connect the 2 wires from the sensor to the gauge.

I have one and I love it. You can do the pickup two ways, use the adapter that is a pickup that goes where the original speedometer cable once went, just buy the chevy one from Summit Racing. With this setup, provided you have the right speedometer gear you won't have to recalibrate it.

The setup I have is a Rostra magnetic pickup from dakota digital that is for aftermarket cruise control. Just mount it in the trans tunnel and ziptie some weights to your driveshaft. The speedometer then needs to be calibrated.

The calibration on Autometer speedometers is really easy so its not a concern at all. Mine is an Autometer designer black version and it works well.

Hookup is really just power, ground, lights, and a wire from the pickup...and the pickup wiring is either just the signal and ground or signal, ground, and power.

The best news is your speedometer will no longer bounce, and your odometer will be digital, and you get a trip odometer.

How about this, GPS? They give you real time speed of your car and can tell you how to get there and long it will take. That's what I've been using lately.

I have an electronic one from Auto Meter with a device that attaches on the transmission where the cable would normally go.. Hooks up by wire.
Calibrate by driving along a certain distance , by pushing a buttom on the face of the speedo.. Easily changed for any gearing or tire change.

dash.JPG

Thanks, gents, you have helped me make the decision...electronic speedo for me.

I know this post is old but figured I would just use it rather than make a new one.

I have a duster with a 727 what electronic sense would i buy to hook up my new electronic speedo.

and where do i get?

-
Back