elementary question (probably)

-

rdb

Reaction score
Well, like most guys my age, I am again wanting the car I learned to drive on -- first car. 1964 Dodge Dart GT Convert. But I want one just like the one I had... the actual car was sold to friend back in '76, when I was all eaten up with Volvos ...whose girlfriend promptly wrecked it. So it won't be the actual car, although I have heard cool stories of someone locating their long-lost car.

Mine was a slant six, black interior, 3 on the tree. Ivory/yellowish color w/ black trim. After years of looking, I have concluded the number of GTs with 3/tree must have been few, as that was more a feature of the 170/270 series. Most have automatics, which kills it for me. Seen a few 4/floor ones, but those either have the V8 or not a black interior.

Occasionaly a clean 6/black interior/automatic turns up.

Can automatics be converted to manual transmission (3/tree or 4 floor) assuming you have the parts?

Can a v8 be converted to slant 6?

Which is harder or would cost most to have done?

Keep in mind:
This is would not a be home project -- the appreciation of old US iron is great, but the actual skills, tools, space, etc is limited. although I would not even undertake this if I didn't have a garage to keep it in.

Also, it's not about value, collectibility, resale etc. I just want to recreate the car I had since it can't be found.

And even people I know are all like why 3/tree if you can have 4/floor. The latter is an acceptable option, but would prefer 3/tree. Auto is a deal killer.

Any ideas, would be please to hear them.

Keep restoring and driving that old iron!

most of those cars have been converted the other way but the parts to do what you want in most cases can be had for the gas to haul them away , there were plenty of old 3 on the tree pick ups made so the parts for that are out there as well , look in the older classifieds here for the guys who do a lot of parting and send them an PM you might be surprised how cheap you can do this .

You can change darn near anything you wish on these cars.
Get the car itself, rip out the automatic and sell it.
Pull the steering column out and replace it with a standard column shift and stick a 3 speed in it.

You can change darn near anything you wish on these cars.
Get the car itself, rip out the automatic and sell it.
Pull the steering column out and replace it with a standard column shift and stick a 3 speed in it.

There you go you can probably sell all the v8 and unwanted trans parts for more than the parts you want , most likely to someone who's ditching everything you want eh lol

Well, it sounds like it is do-able then. Thanks for the replies. IT may sound crazy to some but I really want the six/3-tree, not 8/auto or 4 /floor.

i just have to find someone who can do the work.

-
Back