Elon just bought GM?????

-
Afghanistan is sitting on the largest lithium reserves worth over $1 Trillion.
If that is the estimated current worth, then there is not enough Lithium to supply all our future battery requirements.

Didn't you hear about the recent "fusion" breakthrough? They powered a 60 watt bulb for 3 minutes with it!
THAT is the answer! It ought to be ready for widespread applications in about 30 years!
The article I read said it could power a whole house on something smaller than a breadbox for over 100 years. It's taken like 90 years to get to this point. It'll be another 100 before another baby step.

With all the crazy crap that Musk guy does, it wouldn't surprise me if he didn't buy GM. I'll tell you something you may or may not know. Back in the 80s and early 90s, when Earnhardt was on top of his game, General Motors was the only entity in the world that was bigger than the United States Federal Government. I remember reading about it in one of the monthly newsletters we got when I worked at the local Chevy dealer long about 89-91. I think since the bailouts and stocks going in the toilet, I'm not sure that's true anymore, but it was at one time.

I don't anyone has figured out how to extract much out of depleted batteries.

Once the Lithium is spent....it's all over.
Over on FCBO it was mentioned that a company (1) is recycling old battery packs from EVs. But it was only one company, and they weren't that big.

Last edited:
Anyone remember the once common phrase-

"If it's good for gm, it's good for America".

If that is the estimated current worth, then there is not enough Lithium to supply all our future battery requirements.

Bloomberg article
Afghanistan is sitting on deposits estimated to be worth $1 trillion or more, including what may be the world's largest lithium reserves, a vital component for the energy-storage batteries that are driving the world's transition away from fossil fuels.

From Volkswagen AG
Where is lithium available from?
With 8 million tons, Chile has the world’s largest known lithium reserves. This puts the South American country ahead of Australia (2.7 million tons), Argentina (2 million tons) and China (1 million tons). Within Europe, Portugal has smaller quantities of the valuable raw material. The total global reserves are estimated at 14 million tons. This corresponds to 165 times the production volume in 2018.

The VW article totally leaves out Afghanistan

From a salesman at our local dealer. I don't know if it's true but I wouldn't doubt it
I don't trust anything a car salesman says. It may be true but more than likely he doesn't know what is going on at Stellantis as far as that decision goes and really the restriction of only selling diesel trucks to buyers who prove their need is a regulatory issue handed down by government, not the manufacturer.
I would be willing to bet he is spreading this rumor to try to scare people into buying diesels this year and not to wait.

When it comes to EV's, reality is setting in as it seems to do every twenty years or so.
New generation of knowitalls and all that.

VW had a diesel/electric hybrid (Bluemotion) that got 70+mpg. Diesel engine was just a generator with wheel mounted electric motors. No battery and excellent mileage. What happened to that? Even my 2011 TDI Jetta got 50mpg. It is possible, certain groups do not want it possible.

The cars have a fuel efficient engine, aerodynamic body, low ride height, auto stop-start, programmed battery charging system, longer gearing and low rolling resistance tires. On 30 June 2011 a Volkswagen Passat 1.6 TDI BlueMotion set a world record for the greatest distance driven on a single tank of fuel, recognized by the Guinness Book of Records, achieving 1,526.63 miles (2,456.87 km). The average consumption amounted to 74.8 miles per US gallon (3.14 L/100 km; 89.8 mpg‑imp).[10]

BlueMotion - Wikipedia

-
Back