Embarrassing '80's Bands

-

GoFish

Have impressive member
Reaction score
The Cindi Lauper thread got me thinking. What '80's bands did you love at the time, but that you're completely embarrassed about today? I'll start...

A Flock of Seagulls (Yes, I actually had the haircut!)
Spandau Ballet
Haircut 100
The Romantics

What aboout the opposite, liking a band then and not wanting anyone to know. Igraduated in 84, and was a rocker guy, Black Sabbath, Blue Oyster Cult, Van Halen, Sammy Hagar, etc. But i was a closet Micheal Jackson listener. There, i said it

morrissey,smiths,cure,associates,duran duran,joy division,depeche mode,magazine,new york dolls,slodive,oingo boingo

'soul/feeling' comes in many styles of music, some just grabs you more...and without the pretend-o tough guy spikes'n leather queen pseudo macho 'i feel nothing' crap..

I'd rather some queer be himself, at least I can respect the honesty 'and know who to steer clear of' lol
But when you're wearing leather & pounding your fist sing'n bout hell & brimstone, meanwhile eye fk'n the boys in the front row .....you a lame fk liar and a coward, HA

just my belch of a thought...

heres a blast from a decade of cocaine and champaign..

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kg-Joajg9sw"]YouTube- The Associates - Skipping - Gotterdammerung 2000[/ame]

What aboout the opposite, liking a band then and not wanting anyone to know. Igraduated in 84, and was a rocker guy, Black Sabbath, Blue Oyster Cult, Van Halen, Sammy Hagar, etc. But i was a closet Micheal Jackson listener. There, i said it

Same here,Some of the old Micheal J. music will always be in my mind and gave me pleasure to listen to as a very young gun 8)
But the Marshal Tucker band kept me in reality :rock: and as did Bad Company , Heck, The Osmen Brothers help me get my first sweet hart babe red head :scratch::scratch: well you know what I mean :-D

Psycadelic furs
Men at Work
ABC
Wham
Thompson Twins
Duran Duran
Thomas Dolby
Petshop Boys
Yaz
The Bengals
The GoGo's
Eurythmics
Culture Club
Soft Cell
Frankie Goes to Hollywood
Dexys Midnight runners
Stray Cats
Madness
The Specials
The Human League
Tears For Fears
The Motels
Madonna
Oingo Boingo
Michael J.
Lived all this in Hollywood clubs.
Good times right there brothers !!!!!!

morrissey,smiths,cure,associates,duran duran,joy division,depeche mode,magazine,new york dolls,slodive,oingo boingo

'soul/feeling' comes in many styles of music, some just grabs you more...and without the pretend-o tough guy spikes'n leather queen pseudo macho 'i feel nothing' crap..

I'd rather some queer be himself, at least I can respect the honesty 'and know who to steer clear of' lol
But when you're wearing leather & pounding your fist sing'n bout hell & brimstone, meanwhile eye fk'n the boys in the front row .....you a lame fk liar and a coward, HA

just my belch of a thought...

heres a blast from a decade of cocaine and champaign..

YouTube- The Associates - Skipping - Gotterdammerung 2000

LOL you've got to be referring to Rob Halford of Judas Priest

A while back, I was playing an 80's music trivia game with some friends. I usually do well at trivia games, but man, I was sucking at this one. I mean, I graduated from high school in 1987. Half an hour in an not a single AC/DC or Iron Maiden question. If you put a gun to my head I couldn't have named half of these bands. Not a single guitar-playing band in the whole damn game...

Pablo Cruise

Pablo Cruise #1.jpg

Pablo Cruise #2.jpg

I only listened to metal in the 80s, and the harder the better, and still like the old metal bands a lot, but I definitely like the 80s pop and new wave much more now than I did then. Almost every song I hear brings back great memories of growing up in the 80s.

Psycadelic furs
Men at Work
ABC
Wham
Thompson Twins
Duran Duran
Thomas Dolby
Petshop Boys
Yaz
The Bengals
The GoGo's
Eurythmics
Culture Club
Soft Cell
Frankie Goes to Hollywood
Dexys Midnight runners
Stray Cats
Madness
The Specials
The Human League
Tears For Fears
The Motels
Madonna
Oingo Boingo
Michael J.
Lived all this in Hollywood clubs.
Good times right there brothers !!!!!!

Pretty well covered right there, but I've got two words for ya: A-ha.

And actually, alot of that stuff was (is) good music.. just depends on whether you like synthesizers, I guess. Being born in '76, I didn't really have any choice but to like it. At home, I had my father's massive collection of rock and blues records to listen to, and we didn't even have cable (so no MTV), but pop culture is inescapable. I'll tell you what I'm not embarrassed about: I have CDs in my collection right now by the Psychedelic Furs (in the truck's CD player as we speak, in fact), Men At Work, Dexy's Midnight Runners, Stray Cats (both of those bands were anachronisms anyway; I don't really think of them as "80s bands"), Tears For Fears, Boingo (Danny Elfman), The Cars, Pat Benatar- just off the top of my head.

Oh, wait- I thought of one: Vixen! :toothy10:
metalstarjanfeb89vix.JPG

Funkadelic - Maggot Brain .wmms 100.7 jock called the BLF BASH.used to play them saterday night at 2.00 in the morn. we used it as a clock to know it was time to go home.

Pretty well covered right there, but I've got two words for ya: A-ha.

And actually, alot of that stuff was (is) good music.. just depends on whether you like synthesizers, I guess. Being born in '76, I didn't really have any choice but to like it. At home, I had my father's massive collection of rock and blues records to listen to, and we didn't even have cable (so no MTV), but pop culture is inescapable. I'll tell you what I'm not embarrassed about: I have CDs in my collection right now by the Psychedelic Furs (in the truck's CD player as we speak, in fact), Men At Work, Dexy's Midnight Runners, Stray Cats (both of those bands were anachronisms anyway; I don't really think of them as "80s bands"), Tears For Fears, Boingo (Danny Elfman), The Cars, Pat Benatar- just off the top of my head.

Oh, wait- I thought of one: Vixen! :toothy10:
metalstarjanfeb89vix.JPG

Was and still is good music.
Guess I didnt read the question very well.8)
The 80's was a fun time.

OK except for Pablo Cruise, I've got just about everything y'all have listed on my Ipod.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vUbnOFPud3M&feature=related"]YouTube- The Circle Jerks in 'Repo Man'.[/ame]

I'm not so much embarrassed to admit I listened to some of that stuff -- what choice did we have, it was all they played on the radio! -- but was red-faced when a walk in busted me dancing to the Jackson 5's ABC 123 earlier this week. (No, I wasn't moon walking ... it was the dance-instruction sequence on the store roof from Clerk's II.)

I just can't believe this thread wasn't started by ABB. LMAO!!!!

Heck, you want embarrassing? I've actually got this in my CD collection:
WilliamSHATNERHasBEEN.jpg

Not embarrasing enough? Okay, I also own this CD:
cdtriumphcome_poop.jpg

:angry7:

-
Back