Emergency Brake Cable Kit Question??

-

dillon14

Reaction score
I wanted to purchase an emergency brake/parking brake cable kit. However the seller asked: "in order for me to process your order i need to know if your car has the intermediate or the non intermediate style emergency brake cable."

I have a 1968 Dodge Dart GTS 383 with a 4-speed and manual drum brakes all around.

Can anyone tell me what I need?

Thanks,
Al in Maine

Ive been wanting to know this too. I think if you can determine what length you front most cable is would determine it though. I think both styles will work on a given car if you start from scratch. Maybe not.....

I'm starting with a car that was completely disassembled so I am hoping someone that has already done the restoration on a 68 GTS Dart will help.

thinking about it, they probably mean; Long straight cable from dash, with the junction, then two seperate lines to each drum. Intermediate. Never heard that term. Napa.

Your 68 Dart does not use an intermediate cable. That was for newer usually 71 and up on most models when both of your rear housing cables connected to the rail bracket on both sides requiring a center (intermediate cable) to connect from them to the cable coming down from your handle in the car. 70 and back rear housing cables both run to the drivers side and connect directly to the cable coming from your dash thus not needing the intermediate cable

sometimes the best way to figure out what parts you need is to jack up the car, and figure out how everything connects together. either way, if you're going to rebuild the brakes, you're going to have to figure out how to disconnect everything so you can put it all back together. take good notes (or take pictures) as you disassemble so you know how to reassemble when the parts come. you'll also have a better idea of what needs to be ordered.

Matt,
I hear you on that but in this particul;ar case, the car was completely apart. I always take tons of before and after photos.
Thanks,
Al

Moparparts is right, your car does not use an intermediate cable. But you do need to know the wheel base for the cable set. The Dart GTS is a 111 inch wheel base car and uses no intermnediate. Id call The Right Stuff detailing and get a complete factory correct set for $119 . Their number is 800-405-2000 and ask for Bear. and tell him Marcel sent you. These are nice cables.....

-
Back