Emergency brake question

-

383Duster

Reaction score
I just got my 70 Duster. The emergency brake assy is completly gone. I need one to pass my state safety inspection. I figured the parts needed would be the same from say 67 to 76 but looking on Ebay I see parts for 73 to 76 model Dusters and Darts are listed seperately......what changed on the emergency brake starting in 73 that would prevent it from being used on a 70? Thanks in advance for any help.

i know mine is the pull type and its from a 75. maby they went to that from the foot operated style around then. you could use a universal hand brake from summit. thats what i want to go to

can you see any differences from the pictures on ebay? I would assume they were all pull type, but maybe had a different diameter of rod?

I scored one on Ebay that was listed as fitting 73 to 76..........it was only $20 and is supposed to have a good handle so I will see if I can figure out where / how it bolts up.
Thanks for the tip on a universal one from Summit, I had not thought of that.

Hi Craig. I don't know if the 73-76 ebrake is different but this drawing is for a '70 - if it's of any use to you.

EBrake.jpg

Thanks for the info on the parking brake routing, since my car has none it will be a help. UPS delivered the 73 under dash assy I won on EBay right before I got sent to Oklahoma to work due to the tornado / hail storms they had........

My 75 Dart is a bit different. The right side E-brake cable crosses under the transmission tailshaft, then goes back to the drum assembly.

Personally I like the 70 layout better.

Hmmm My 76 is the foot style. the cable from the foot brake grabs the second cable which is a loop back to the ends of the two short cable that go into the back of each drum through the backing plate. sorry cant think of a better way to describe it but the setup is identical to my 74 Charger.

I do like the hand pull better.

Yeah, sounds like mine, but with a foot actuator instead of the pull handle.

-
Back