Emissions?

-

ytownxj

Reaction score
So I just bought a Holley carburetor without emissions and am wondering what all I can (or have) to take off and how this is going to change my system. Can I safely disconnect the charcoal canister and just run the fuel line to the fuel pump? What emissions am I not going to be able to remove? I've seen pictures on this forum all the time of people with emissions-free cars and am wondering how to go about removing them without messing anything up. Thanks for all your help

You know how they--the factory vented the gas tanks before 1970's, they just had an open vent hose from the gas tank--no kidding.

The engine doesn't even need a pvc valve to run right, doesn't hurt and might help stop an oil leak but many engines--even mine--has zip.

Now your state might have inspections, if so you got major work to please them, so dumb,imo

Oh I just notice your from VA, well I know their driving laws are pretty strict...is 85 mph on the freeway automatic reckless driving to their courts?

Over 80 actually, even when the speed limit is 75. Absolutely ridiculous in my opinion

Over 80 actually, even when the speed limit is 75. Absolutely ridiculous in my opinion

You know i don't see any point in putting money in to any car if i lived in VA. I would just get some basic transportation, a $5,000 five year old car and listen to talk shows--not music while driving.

There is other fun things in life, spend more time with your gf or wife and travel or go on spa days together, etc. Don;t have anybody then join a dating service or hit the gentlemen clubs, whatever.

Even in Canada its 50 km/h over--around 30 mph and in Toronto you can do just about anything you like--expect speed--the real physical type, lol

Get some radio control cars, boats, get a nice bicycle and hit the trails but a fast car is just going to cause much problems and fines and even a criminal record...then you could never check out Toronto

I mean I went for a 30 min ride today out on these 4 lane semi expressways we have here. If I was in VA I could be dragged out of my home right now and I didn't even floor it once. Its got 3.91 gears yet it can go over 80 in 2 nd gear so wtf, you be better off spending your cash on many other things in life, IMO

So I just bought a Holley carburetor without emissions and am wondering what all I can (or have) to take off and how this is going to change my system. Can I safely disconnect the charcoal canister and just run the fuel line to the fuel pump? What emissions am I not going to be able to remove? I've seen pictures on this forum all the time of people with emissions-free cars and am wondering how to go about removing them without messing anything up. Thanks for all your help

well it depends how your register it. if you have antique tags you can leave everything off, but never be able to drive it (sunday afternoons, car shows and what not.)

if you have regular tags just whatever it needs to pass state inspection which isnt much (i.e. if your car had an air pump missing a belt it could fail, but completely removed they wouldnt know make sure your air cleaner is on but thats it as far as i know.

i'm an emission inspector in northern Va an when presented for an inspection we have to check all that (according to the emissions sticker if equipped with certain components) but your car wouldnt be seeing as it doesnt fall under the 25 yr rolling rule and you most likely wont be hit with a roadside sensing device so your good.

your fuel line should not run through your charcoal canister that is a vent line from the gas tank. the main feed of the fuel line is a different line. you dont have to hook up the purge line from the charcoal canister just leave it unhooked.

i think i would keep the pcv hooked up.

BTW there is plenty of drag racing and going fast going on here in VA, from dodge boys to ricers to rustangers... on and off the track... just gotta know where to look.

Thank you gnome for the insight as an inspector, that's useful information to know. I plan on keeping the PCV on for sure and figuring out someway to use the breather without it feeding into the air cleaner for crankshaft ventilation. Just was curious about the canister mainly. I know some people with classic cars down here that get through inspections without emissions and it's good to hear it from the side of an inspector

-
Back