empty master cylinder

-

GO DART

Reaction score
been noticing the brakes getting softer so pulled the cap on the mstr cylinder and one side is empty. i've also noticed small amt of fluid after she sits all nite which i wonder is brake fluid. i can pull the front tires and check pads and rotars but i'm concerned about the calipers. could this be a job for a novice or should i turn it over to a shop? whats a totalmrebuild cost? thanks

Replacing a caliper is a peice of cake even if your a novice. Just remove the line leading to it (have a empty coffee can handy to catch the fluid that will drain from it). Remove the 2 bolts that hold the caliper on and remove the caliper and pads. Install pads on new caliper and assemble in reverse order. Fill the M/C and open the bleeder on the caliper until fluid runs out. Tighten the bleeder. Have someone pump the brakes up and gently loosen the bleeder screw about a half a turn and tighten it right back up. (NOTE: wear saftey glasses when doing this, sometimes it will spit brake fluid at you). Try to do it fast enough so the brake pedal don't go to the floor. You may have to do the bleeding process 3-4 times to get all the air out. Make sure and don't ever let the M/C run dry on fluid or you'll be bleeding the whole system.

Sorry can't say what a total brake job will cost. That varies quite a bit from car to car and areas. You'd just have to get a quote from your local shop.

Brakes are of course one very important saftey item and if you don't feel comfortable working on them your best off getting it done professionally.

BTW: Is the fluid for sure coming from a caliper? Could also be coming from a line or the copper sealing washers that seal the line to the caliper.

when i had my brakes done(rear) on my 71 it cost me almost $500 parts and labor. i would have done it myself but i didn't have time. if you have converted to the 73+ parts the price will be cheap if you do it yourself. but if you are still running the 4 piston cals its gonna get pricy... i have looked and the cheapest i have found is $125 EACH caliper. i have also inquired about having them rebuilt but no one wants to touch them except for a few resto shops and they want more to rebuild them than get rebuilt ones.. but check all your connections and lines. might have just sprung a leak.

thanks guys. this car was bought at auction so i don't have any history really on anything. doubt the brakes have been updated but don't really know. i know what you mean about not having time mopar guy. guess i'll put her on stands, pull the front tires and inspect. then pull the back as well.

-
Back