End of an Era

-

gunbunny

Reaction score
Was just informed that the shop that I've worked in off and on since I got out of the Army is closing.
Jan 31st 2020 is the last day.
I haven't worked there full time since 2014, but I have had a P/T job, (8 hrs a week) since that allowed me to use the facility and keep up with the industry.
The place was a Dodge dealership up to 2009 when the point was unceremoniously yanked out from under them.
I'm not going to be hurting for money, I have my current gig to fall back on, just a real bummer more than anything.
I guess the one thing that stays the same is that everything changes.

Gotta roll with the changes my friend. Maybe stop by a few days before they close and see about any remembrances you can take with you. Will become sweeter thru the years.

"is closing."

any idea why? If the shop has a good location and the personel / environmental issues of running an auto repair business are under control, it should be a money maker.
If the shop has something going for it, maybe it will re open.

“All good things...”

The only constant in life is change.

"is closing."

any idea why? If the shop has a good location and the personel / environmental issues of running an auto repair business are under control, it should be a money maker.
If the shop has something going for it, maybe it will re open.
There is a lot of behind the scenes things going on.
But the biggest is that the owners are elderly and have been hands off for a few years now.
There are attorneys, accountants and relatives involved. Behind that is a rather large trust fund that several people have their sights on.
Every opportunity to revitalize the business has been undermined by individuals who stand to benefit from its closing.
The GM is a nice guy, but his approach to running a business is dated.
He's still dumping a ton of money into advertising in the newspapers print copy.
It's just been a perfect storm of bad things happening.

I'll miss the place, I hate to see something I put a lot of time and effort into go the way of the dodo.

It sounds like you have looked at this from a lot of different directions but what will happen after it closes? After it sells maybe some one will come in with a more modern approach. Everyone who worked there will be looking for a job, maybe the new and improved version will be better. You are lucky you can land on your feet, but maybe get some phone numbers from your friends who work there and keep in touch. After all, its only a building, its the people who make it personal.

-
Back