Ending the season early with a broken crankshaft

-

71Demon528

Reaction score
Went to Norwalk for Mopar race, made it 3 passes in and then this happened. Eagle crank, at least 20 years old, well over 1,000 runs. Doesn’t owe me anything. Sadly we just had the crank magged over the winter and it tested good during a routine overhaul. Looks like it will be time to upgrade to a Molnar crank and new rods.

DF0F84E9-4FA7-4C8C-9934-6FB4D7DD1ACC.jpeg

1C90422B-0F00-4649-9451-DE018A47EC95.jpeg

7453984B-D732-41E0-982B-964AE96D6853.jpeg

DED41567-F9B3-4E12-B8A6-A7F0BA85D1B7.jpeg

Went to Norwalk for Mopar race, made it 3 passes in and then this happened. Eagle crank, at least 20 years old, well over 1,000 runs. Doesn’t owe me anything. Sadly we just had the crank magged over the winter and it tested good during a routine overhaul. Looks like it will be time to upgrade to a Molnar crank and new rods.

View attachment 1716152697

View attachment 1716152698

View attachment 1716152699

View attachment 1716152700

Dang that sucks, but I guess it could have been way worse.

That sucks even with getting your moneys worth out of it. Time to build it bigger or better.

That sucks even with getting your moneys worth out of it. Time to build it bigger or better.
Indeed it does suck. I’ve considered going bigger so many times in the past but truth be told, I probably will just stick with the same setup because it’s a good working combo.

What engine? And at what power level?
528 low deck aluminum Indy block with 440-1 heads.

Best ET of 5.43 @125mph 2825lbs race ready

Never had it dynod to know what the numbers are. But if you do the Wallace calculator it comes up 871hp with that ET and weight. Whether that’s true or not? No clue. I just know it runs good and is fun.

528 low deck aluminum Indy block with 440-1 heads.

Best ET of 5.43 @125mph 2825lbs race ready

Never had it dynod to know what the numbers are. But if you do the Wallace calculator it comes up 871hp with that ET and weight. Whether that’s true or not? No clue. I just know it runs good and is fun.
You have over 1000 runs on that bottom end making that power? You’re right the crank owes you nothing. Glad the rest is salvageable.

Molnar is good stuff, are you sure your balancer didn't cause it along with it's age ?

this is one of those where you look at it and think: i'm not even mad, i'm impressed.

stroke of luck there with no collateral damage.

Dang man you got really lucky, physically and financially

Molnar is good stuff, are you sure your balancer didn't cause it along with it's age ?
I doubt it as it was balanced in 2019 when I swapped the eagle rods for molnar rods and we cut the crank down to a 2.2 Chevy journal back then. Since 2019 I’ve put on over 400 runs on that crankshaft. We were going to put a molnar crank in it back in 2019 but ultimately decided if it passed mag we would run it. Well woulda shoulda coulda, still say I’m impressed with an Eagle crank that lasted that long in a decent HP/torque engine.

250 miles at wide open throttle at that power level is impressive! You guys did it right when you built it. :thumbsup:
Thank you. It was a good engine that’s for sure. If we do decide to turn it up to a 540 we will be going with some 1mm, 1mm, 3mm rings to see what we can squeeze out if it.

I doubt it as it was balanced in 2019 when I swapped the eagle rods for molnar rods and we cut the crank down to a 2.2 Chevy journal back then. Since 2019 I’ve put on over 400 runs on that crankshaft. We were going to put a molnar crank in it back in 2019 but ultimately decided if it passed mag we would run it. Well woulda shoulda coulda, still say I’m impressed with an Eagle crank that lasted that long in a decent HP/torque engine.
Was that 400 size mains or 440 size mains? Just curious, but assuming 440 size. Very happy the block survived. Also, did it damage any valves?

Was that 400 size mains or 440 size mains? Just curious, but assuming 440 size. Very happy the block survived. Also, did it damage any valves?
400 mains. Considered having the block taken to 440 but need to find the right guy to do it. The guy who we would have do it unfortunately died last year. Luckily I haven’t had an issue with 400 main bearings. King makes a standard HP bearing and a .001 extra HP bearing.

Did not get it all apart yet to see if any valves were damaged. My builder is at Halloween classic in Ohio this week so when he gets back we will dive further into it.

Wow! Is that pretty much all the damage? That's amazing.

Cool, yeah if it was balanced recently then you did what you could and get everything out of that. Better make a lamp out of it .

400 mains. Considered having the block taken to 440 but need to find the right guy to do it. The guy who we would have do it unfortunately died last year. Luckily I haven’t had an issue with 400 main bearings. King makes a standard HP bearing and a .001 extra HP bearing.

Did not get it all apart yet to see if any valves were damaged. My builder is at Halloween classic in Ohio this week so when he gets back we will dive further into it.
B engine mains are better anyways.

B engine mains are better anyways.
Why is that size "better" than the 440 size? Bearing speed is the only thing I can theorize, but I would personally trade more journal overlap for bearing speed. Of course, I am a novice so I am open to all theories.

-
Back