• Yes leave it on

Votes: 39 70.9%
  • No turn it off

Votes: 16 29.1%

• Total voters
-

mullinax95

Reaction score
I have a 24x30x11 detached shop with a heat pump with A/C unit running on a 30 amp power supply. This link is the one I have.

http://www.shophmac.com/ge-az61h15dab.html

I'm not in the shop all of the time of course but I do keep my dog in there during the day when the outside temperature gets above 90 degrees. What question is should I shut down the A/C when I don't need to keep my dog in there during the day (when temps drop down in the 80s) or leave it running?

For instance it cooled down some last week do I put my dog back in his kennel. Now yesterday I did some work in there so I turned the A/C back on. I usually keep it set on 70 degrees so the A/C compressor stayed on a good bit to get the temp down to 70 degrees. It was 77 when I went in there that morning so I left the unit on knowing it was going to get hot later on in the day.

I have never had a shop with A/C or heat so I don't want a staggering power bill that I have to pay. I noticed my power bill went up some because I have been using the A/C a little this year but in the last month it has been on just about all the time. My thinking is to leave it on so it doesn't have to "catch up" when I turn it back on after I have turned it off for a couple of days. This uses more energy to have to "catch up" instead of leaving it on. I mean I leave my house on 69 degrees all of the time because that's where I am at most of the time. My mom suggests I cut it off and when I know that I will be in the shop awhile that day I should cut it on. However I sometimes don't know if I'm going to be in there for a little while or a long time. I don't want to have to go in there and cut the air on and burn up until it cools off. The shop however doesn't get that hot because I insulated it fully to the max. lol

Your input would be nice to hear.

Do you have a time when you usually use the shop? If so, get a 7 day programmable thermostat and set it for different temperatures a different times of the day. Lets say Mon-Fri your use is 5pm till after dark and Sat and Sun you use is 10am till 7pm or later

Mon -Fri 8am to 4pm set cooling to 78-80 degrees (74-76 if dog is in the shop)
4pm to 9pm set cooling to 70 degrees

Sat-Sun 10am to 7pm set cooling to 70 degrees

during the winter

Mon-Fri 12am to 4pm set heating to 60-62 degrees
4pm till 9pm to 68-70 degrees
Sat-Sun set heat 9am - 7pm to 68-70 degrees

All setting are adjustable. Can be changed temporarily is times very.

This should keep the bill more consistent and the temperature comfortable.

I'm not an HVAC expert, but it's got to be similar to heating in the north. You don't shut your heat off in your house when you're not at home,you just turn it down so you're not wasting energy. I would think setting the AC to 75 degrees when you're not there will keep the humidity down and the air comfortable without killing your electric bill. But, I've been wrong before so I'm sure differing opinions will follow.

I see JLP beat me to it. I'm a slow typer.

Do you have a time when you usually use the shop? If so, get a 7 day programmable thermostat and set it for different temperatures a different times of the day. Lets say Mon-Fri your use is 5pm till after dark and Sat and Sun you use is 10am till 7pm or later

Mon -Fri 8am to 4pm set cooling to 78-80 degrees (74-76 if dog is in the shop)
4pm to 9pm set cooling to 70 degrees

Sat-Sun 10am to 7pm set cooling to 70 degrees

during the winter

Mon-Fri 12am to 4pm set heating to 60-62 degrees
4pm till 9pm to 68-70 degrees
Sat-Sun set heat 9am - 7pm to 68-70 degrees

All setting are adjustable. Can be changed temporarily is times very.

This should keep the bill more consistent and the temperature comfortable.

I don't think I can use that type of thermostat with this type unit.

Do you ever keep your dog in the house?

No he isn't aloud in the house. I tried one time and that one time was the last time! I wished I could though but he's messy.

Leave it on when your dog is in there. If you use a extra box fan to help circulate the air you can keep it at a higher temp. I didn't vote on your poll because it is a either or vote.
With a box fan you can keep a higher temp like 78*

The one in your link show thermostat options. What I am seeing looks like the hotel motel style units. If it is like that you can set the tempature by opening the door and pushing the buttons.

Does the hotel motels leave their running? The ones I have been to either turn them off or raise the settings so the guest can set it when they get there.

GE AZ61H15DAB Remote Thermostats.
Digital Remote Thermostat RAK148D1 +$68.80
.Programmable Digital Remote Thermostat RAK148P1 +$91.20
.Wall Mounted Wireless Programmable Remote Thermostat Transmitter (For RAK348R1) RAK348T1 +$199.00
.PTAC Mounted Wireless Programmable Remote Thermostat Receiver (For RAK348T1) RAK348R1 +$184.00

Leave it on when your dog is in there. If you use a extra box fan to help circulate the air you can keep it at a higher temp. I didn't vote on your poll because it is a either or vote.
With a box fan you can keep a higher temp like 78*

Sorry for being so confusing. I was basically trying to figure out if it is cheaper to just leave it all of the time wither my dog is in there all the time or not. Im most likely in there on the weekends but not a whole during the week. I do however turn the ac down a little bit more when I'm in there working and back up around 75 degrees just when my dog is in there. I guess I should have mention that in my poll.

The one in your link show thermostat options. What I am seeing looks like the hotel motel style units. If it is like that you can set the tempature by opening the door and pushing the buttons.

GE AZ61H15DAB Remote Thermostats.
Digital Remote Thermostat RAK148D1 +$68.80
.Programmable Digital Remote Thermostat RAK148P1 +$91.20
.Wall Mounted Wireless Programmable Remote Thermostat Transmitter (For RAK348R1) RAK348T1 +$199.00
.PTAC Mounted Wireless Programmable Remote Thermostat Receiver (For RAK348T1) RAK348R1 +$184.00

It has an adjustable thermostat under the yes I know that. I guess I need to check out the "above" to see if it programmable like JLP mentioned. If so that would be the way to go.

Oh yeah....... I've got to install two high out put ceiling fans sometime or another. It is already hard wired and ready to go... if that matters any.

Oh yeah....... I've to install two high out put ceiling fans sometime or another. It is already hard wired and ready to go... if that matters any.

That will be a big help in keeping your dog cool.

Oh yeah....... I've to install two high out put ceiling fans sometime or another. It is already hard wired and ready to go... if that matters any.

Yes that will matter a lot. It will make it feel cooler than it really is. Have you ever worked outside with no wind blowing and then all of a sudden a breeze comes in? It feels cooler right? Same deal when the weather forecast has a wind chill factor based off the wind.

i do not know -- how about calling your local power company & give them 2 scenarios , they can tell which would cost more.

i would think keeping it somewhat cool while empty would be better than catch up usage? depending on the time frame between usage. Lawrence

The fans can make a huge difference in the feels like temp. I'd get them in as soon as you can. Should be able to raise the temp a few degrees with them running. Heat pumps usually operate more efficiently when there left on but that type unit 14.8 BTU and 720sq.ft. with a 11ft. ceilings to cool it will really depend how much you and the dog are in there. I'd try setting it to 80 deg. and leave it, then hit the fans when you or the dog are there. Try it for a month and see if the bills are acceptible. Being on 24/7 should keep the humidity down and be pretty comfortable.

One caveat: the wife and i lived in So. Florida for 17yrs. so we're used to and actully like the heat. My new whole house unit is set at 78 and sometimes i get a little chilly with the fans on.....lol.

holy crap guys 75 degree's! there is no need to go any lower than 80*... heck... and you should be using the swamp cooler as its MUCH cheaper to run...

holy crap guys 75 degree's! there is no need to go any lower than 80*... heck... and you should be using the swamp cooler as its MUCH cheaper to run...

Hi Kid, i suspect the swamp cooler is a evaporative cooler. If so, not sure it'll work as good in the humid southeast. IIRC they're better in dryer climates.

All right I will drop by Lowes tomorrow and see what they have in the fan department. Overall I believe I have been keeping it to cool in there (for the dogs comfort) but it sure does feel good. lol

I'll more than likely be crying the blues when I get the electric bill. As far as the house is concerned I keep it on 69 24/7. I just can't sleep at night unless it's chilly in the room. My dear mom brags on how cheap her power bill is then turns around and tells me she wakes up with her legs sweating and has to kick the covers off. They like to brag about saving money but have to go through heck to save it. I go over there sometimes during the winter and I have to keep my coat on the inside of the house..... no kidding! She has a heat pump system and that thing is mostly off. lol

Sorry but what is a swamp cooler?

Oh...... in comparison my neighbor keeps his house on 74* but he has a wife who gets cold easily. I believe different parts of the US require different settings to stay comfortable.

Hi Kid, i suspect the swamp cooler is a evaporative cooler. If so, not sure it'll work as good in the humid southeast. IIRC they're better in dryer climates.

they dont work great in humidity but its still a hell of alot cheaper and still works just fine for shop duty... i mean damn... your already dirty, greasy, and sweaty... what is keeping that little extra sweat in worth?

last year here in AZ i ran the Refridg AC @ 85* (105-120 outside) only during the times i was home (5pm-11pm, 6am-9am) and all day sat and sunday... it cost me about 200 bucks a month (normally about 85 a month)... this year running the swamp cooler its 95 bucks... and i leave it on ALL THE TIME!!

as i said for shop duty go swamp... not as good in humidity but it still chills and as much cheaper!

Oh I know what you're talking about now ... Fk that!
When I'm at work I have to use one of them all day long. We actually got two of them going and it doesn't do a bit a good unless you're standing in front of it and then you have to yell at one another over the fans. I would use one however in my shop if I HAD to..... I mean they beat a regular fan by a long shot.

When I'm at work I have to use one of them all day long. We actually got two of them going and it doesn't do a bit a good unless you're standing in front of it and then you have to yell at one another over the fans. I would use one however in my shop if I HAD to..... I mean they beat a regular fan by a long shot.

I would love a link to what your talking about?

we have a 10K CFM unit for our 40x60 shop and its great... even when its 105 and 50% humidity...

Yeap, my big swamp cooler does the whole house 20+ deg cooler than outside. Ave humidity is 30 - 40 % here, so it works properly.

Add thermo control exhaust fan under eve peak, both ends of shop.

My vote, when you and the dog are gone, leave a/c off. Maybe install some sort of controllable lever operated vent in the ceiling and add some cross flow like an exhaust fan(s) or vents in the eves.
This way you can bring in regular hot outside air and exhaust the 115 - 135 deg heat from the attic or top area which will save you energy big time.

Then shut off the exhaust fan (unless you have a drop ceiling or separation level, then you should just leave it thermo controlled at 85 deg shut off) and put the a/c on 80 when the dog is there (with a circulation fan(s) as mentioned) and put it on 78 when you are there.

You will probably shi* when you see your bill from keeping it 70 deg in there.
I would, and have.

Hay You tube fabo fans
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mHL__h2DW20&feature=related"]"Swamp Cooler Installation" "How To Install An Evaporative Cooler" - YouTube[/ame]

Yeap, my big swamp cooler does the whole house 20+ deg cooler than outside. Ave humidity is 30 - 40 % here, so it works properly.

Add thermo control exhaust fan under eve peak, both ends of shop.

My vote, when you and the dog are gone, leave a/c off. Maybe install some sort of controllable lever operated vent in the ceiling and add some cross flow like an exhaust fan(s) or vents in the eves.
This way you can bring in regular hot outside air and exhaust the 115 - 135 deg heat from the attic or top area which will save you energy big time.

Then shut off the exhaust fan (unless you have a drop ceiling or separation level, then you should just leave it thermo controlled at 85 deg shut off) and put the a/c on 80 when the dog is there (with a circulation fan(s) as mentioned) and put it on 78 when you are there.

You will probably shi* when you see your bill from keeping it 70 deg in there.
I would, and have.

2x!

-
Back