Engine back from machining! What next!

-
putting it all together is fun make sure every thing is clean. after it is all together the first fire up just gives me chills

One thing that hasnt been mentioned is to deburr the block. If you have the die grinder needed,or even just a file this can be a good thing to do. It will prevent stress risers and cracks from forming.

It was mentioned and yes this is a good step to do.

Basically you go over the block and clean up areas where there is casting flange. Sharp and jagged edges can promote stress areas and can cause cracking.

Here is a vid to give you an idea, it's a Pontiac engine but will give you an idea what to look for.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BYPhEpCfSyI"]Blueprinting Pontiac 455; Pt 3 (Block Deburring) - YouTube[/ame]

Basically you go over the block and clean up areas where there is casting flange. Sharp and jagged edges can promote stress areas and can cause cracking.

Here is a vid to give you an idea, it's a Pontiac engine but will give you an idea what to look for.

I always debur before any assembly. If you already have assembled that short block then you are very likely to get filings inside your engine no matter how careful you are.

Do you guys have a link to the tools you use to clean the block before assembly? And any other tools used for other purposes?

Do you guys have a link to the tools you use to clean the block before assembly? And any other tools used for other purposes?

I don't have any links but if someone can come up with the order to clean block that would be a help. I took my 360 block and had it vatted for 2-3 days,after that was done cam bearings I took to them was installed.

Once home I used brake cleaner, then dawn and water to clean it all down. and oiled the cylinders with a shop towels ( blue ones)

-
Back