engine bay pictures

-

blk00rt

Reaction score
got the engine bay painted, its still wet in some of these pictures. Kind of did the chevy thing, its hotrod flat black paint. Car is going to end up corporate blue before its all done. I know some of you might not like the idea of a black engine bay but withe the blue car, I did not want the blue motor to get lost in there.
the lens on the camera is dirty and the flash does not help the pictures any.

SN850753.jpg

SN850751.jpg

SN850750.jpg

The problem with flat black under the hood is dirt will stick to it like gum to your shoe on hot summer day.

And you will not be able to get it clean.

While it's apart you may want to think it over again. You could paint the engine a nice bright contrasting color to the body. Flat black hides all sorts of defects like oil leaks, rust, dirt, etc. but it never looks clean. Look under the hood of any GM muscle car and you will see - not much. Since it's flat and black it absorbs light making it very hard to see when you are working in there. However, if you are happy with it, it is your car and you should do it the way you want.

If you really like the flat black, thats great and thats all thats matters. However, you said you "painted it black so the blue engine wouldn't get lost in there". In my opinion (which I know you didn't ask for), if you painted the engine compartment blue (like the rest of the car), and painted the engine hemi orange, it would look cleaner, more original, more detailed and get more attention...just think about it while it is still apart. One of the reasons Mopar engine compartments always draw a crowd is because, when you take a body colored firewall, add a silver and gold cad wiper motor, black and natural booster and master cylinder, nicely wrapped harnesses and so on... it just looks so much more detailed than anything that is covered in flat black.

I concur.

Don't be to quick to get done poorly.

You have the bay wide open.....Now is the time to do it right.

Even a rattle can prepped with your final body color will look better that that flat black.

We have stripped two black bays out so far using aircraft stripper and wire wheels.

Your motor will stand out 100% better with a painted bay.

Keep working and dont settle.:cheers:

In the end your car will thank you!

I agree with the others....paint the engine bay to match the cars exterior....then toss on a bright coat of paint on your engine. Go with a yellow or orange or green....something that stands out. you want your engine bay to showcase your engine. you place a diamond ontop of a pile of dirt....you say hey,look at that diamond....however...you set that diamond inside a nice shiny gold ring....you take the time to admire the hole thing,not just the diamond......just an opinion of course....its your car and if you like the flat black look then go for it! good luck

Mine was painted flat black and last summer had the motor out so I painted the engine bay and it looks 100% better. I will try and find some pictures of ther bay when it was flat black.

Engine%20Bay%201.jpg

You may have seen this already but here is an example of a nice contrasting color scheme (to me at least!) I also contemplated going with the standard Mopar blue color which I think would look great as well. The Mopar blue would look good against any other blue too. At least think about going with gloss black rather than flat.

P1030837%20%28Large%29.jpg

Hey Man, it's your car, do what ever you want. My car is the farthest thing from stock, but I will be painting the engine compartment body color. For some reason it just looks "Right" on Mopars.

You may have seen this already but here is an example of a nice contrasting color scheme (to me at least!) I also contemplated going with the standard Mopar blue color which I think would look great as well. The Mopar blue would look good against any other blue too. At least think about going with gloss black rather than flat.

thats the exact color scheme i am doing on my duster......goes in for paint next month.....doing body work as we speak

Hey Man, it's your car, do what ever you want. My car is the farthest thing from stock, but I will be painting the engine compartment body color. For some reason it just looks "Right" on Mopars.

Yeah it's yours so whatever floats your boat.

To me body color looks "right" on every car not just Mopars. I'm restoring a 65 Stang vert for my wife and painting the bay body color because it'll just look so much better. I can only assume cars that came flat black were for a cost cutting measure. :munky2:

-
Back